Posh & Posher

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Plum

Posh & Posher

Post by Plum »

There is a programme on later this week in which Andrew Neill looks at the education background of our politicians and asking whether it is now harder for people, not from a privately educated background, to get into politics. There was an article in the TV pages about it and it listed the prime ministers since the 50s - half of which went to a grammar school.

I just thought it was interesting.....
chad

Re: Posh & Posher

Post by chad »

I noticed this article too..... apparently the next generation of politicians (already walking the corridors of parliament) are even more skewed towards ex-independent school attendees. :roll:
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I am sure this is because there are fewer grammar schools now though. In the 1920's there was less than 2% of pupils privately educated and the figures rose substantially as grammar schools declined.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
atestingtime

Post by atestingtime »

Posh and Posher Why Public School Boys Run Britain on BBC Two on Wednesday at 2100

Am off to set the record box now, sounds good, thanks for the tip.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I wonder if we'll see Flamenco's son! :D
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Both myself and OH sat watching this programme, very interesting. Would be very good to see more GS, doubt that will ever happen though :(
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Interesting programme with some horrifying stats.
Seems to me that for academic selection not to be a dirty word - it needs to be more than a one off event at age 11.The Labour party have abandoned grammars long ago because the spectre of children, academic in potential, forced into non academic environments looms large. Going back a few decades, children who "failed" the 11+ were in many cases consigned to a third rate education.
It is clear that with 66% of the Tory led coalition being indep educated( when only 7% of the whole population are) and 3/4 of the cabinet being millionaires - it has all swung back to a position of little or no social mobility.(Yes.... :roll: 5 of the shadow cabinet Oxbridge but 4 of those state school educated)
So returning to my original statement - could there not be selective schools which selected at 11 and then an intake at year 9 and even truly selective sixth form colleges. My objection to the 11+ system is that it operates as a form of social selection because it is a one off event prepped for from infancy in some cases.A fairer system of academic selection - with more than one opportunity for entry would allay the fears of a secondary modern system.The test itself needs to be fairer and less predictable and therefore less monopolised by the wealthy.
It cannot be good for the country for it to be returning to being entirely ruled by a rich, narrow elite.

Little rant over :D
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Chelmsford mum wrote: It is clear that with 66% of the Tory led coalition being indep educated( when only 7% of the whole population are)
Its 18% of the ppn in 6th form CM :wink: The 7% is to create more sensationalism.
Impossible is Nothing.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

sherry_d wrote:Its 18% of the ppn in 6th form CM :wink: The 7% is to create more sensationalism.

Hmmmmm I'm not sure if sixth form alone counts as indep educated.Seems the state has done the most in these cases.
Too tired to argue though.You will have to carry on without me. - gnite :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now