Aspergers Help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sid

Aspergers Help

Post by Sid »

Hi,

My son has been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome (not statemented) requires social assistance. He has passed his exams and we are waiting for allocation. Does anyone have any experience of the SENCO at Herschel Grammar? Have searched the forum but can only find a few positive postings for Slough Grammar. :roll:

Sid
chad

Re: Aspergers Help

Post by chad »

Hi Sid

I don't think we have had any posts relating to SENCO at Herschel.
Have you spoken to Herschel about their provision, as you have already taken the consortium exam, and I assume have Herschel as your first preference, I can see no reason why you couldn't have a meeting to allay any concerns you might have.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Hi Chad,

I will be going to see the school soon, I was just hoping there might be someone who has dealt with the school in this capacity.

Thanks for getting back to me, I will post again after my visit.

Sid
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

speak to the senco at your primary school. when children go to next school the senco meet to discuss provision for any children on sen register.

They should be able to organise a transition from primary to secondary. Often with ASD children a lot of prep is needed, maybe photographs of new school and/or a visit to show them where classroom/canteen/toilets etc are.. Meeting any support staff beforehand and an opportunity to find out about routine
Sid

Post by Sid »

Hi yoyo123,

You must have been at the meeting I had with the SENCO at our Primary school this Monday, I was given exactly the same advice. Reassuring to know that there does appear to be some consistency in the approach for transition to Secondary School. I just hope we get our School and the SENCO is as flexible as the one we have at the moment.

I am sure it will be fine I think I am more stressed than my son right now!

Sid
chad

Post by chad »

I sympathise with your stress........ I can remember it extremely well (and it was 4 1/2 years ago).... don't worry... as long as the routine, familiarity and support is in place then your son will surprise you. :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now