Redbridge Schools interviews (Bancroft, Chigwell, Forest)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wsc

Re: Redbridge Schools interviews (Bancroft, Chigwell, Forest

Post by wsc »

What's the Chigwell process for Scholarship - do they interview again?
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

bethany wrote:Just got an email from Bancrofts for an interview on Wed! Yippee!!
That's great news. Now I am wondering why I haven't got one - was reasonably sure that DS is worth at least an interview!
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

wsc wrote:What's the Chigwell process for Scholarship - do they interview again?
From their website:

If your child performs especially well in the examination he/she may be called for a Scholarship interview and assessment on either Wednesday 8th or Thursday 9th February. Candidates take part in Arts and Science based activities in small groups and also have individual interviews in English, Mathematics and a general interview with senior members of staff.
bethany

Post by bethany »

Don't worry muffinmonster. When I called Bancrofts last week they told me that interview letters were being posted out from today (Monday). I think we only received an email because our interview is on Wed and it is short notice. The lady I spoke to said not to worry as not all the letters will go out on Monday and the interviews are being held after school and on Saturdays between now and 12th Feb and are allocated as they are able to organise teachers' time to undertake the interviews.

I'm sure your letter will come! Fingers crossed !
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Thanks for that, Bethany. You've saved me checking my email every 10 minutes for the next 24 hours.

While we're all waiting for the results, is anyone interested in passing the time with a debate about the pros and cons of each school? I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks. Here's my (subjective) take:

Bancroft's: Lowest fees, superb facilities, has a reputation for being more difficult to get into, more prestigious as a result of this. Excellent results.

Forest: Middling fees, superb facilities (with a new library to be built in the next couple of years), academically strong. Has the edge in terms of extra-curricular provision, particularly music (if that's what interests you). More generous with scholarships than the other two.

Chigwell: Highest fees, good facilities (but no indoor swimming pool, some of the buildings a little down-at-heel), academically strong. Smaller than the other two and therefore feels like a real community, very warm and welcoming.

Does anyone have a different view? And supposing you got offers from all three (and assuming you could manage the fees), which would you go for and why?

I think my favourite is Forest: the music department is an important factor for me, it's very close to where we live and .... just gut feeling, really. I like Chigwell; I feel I ought to rate Bancroft's the highest, but somehow I don't like the feel as much.
Last edited by muffinmonster on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wsc

Post by wsc »

Short post for now - will add more details later, but this is all based on 20-30 close friends of mine who just left the respective schools 2 years ago.

Bancrofts and Chigwell > Forest in terms of academics (or do brighter students go to the first two schools?)
Chigwell is definitely number 1 in terms of community.
Bancrofts is the most modern of the school in terms of facilities.

If you throw in ICHS and WCHS into the mix which many parents will be, it's quite tough.

Anyway, my sister has Bancrofts scholarship interview coming up.
bethany

Post by bethany »

Well done to your sister wsc! when is her Bancrofts interview? My DD has hers tomorrow, but I have heard that the letters didn't even get posted out yesterday as the admissions lady was off sick. Not good for the nerves of everyone else who is waiting for news!

RE the three schools Bancrofts V Chigwell V Forest. It is such a tricky one as they all have so much to offer in slightly different ways.

Bancrofts, as I see it, certainly has the reputation as being the most successful academically. But is also has a reputation of hothousing the kids to get these results and you do hear horror stories that the most successful students there are all tutored up to the hilt, and that without that extra help your kid might struggle to keep up. Despite that, it commands the most impressive surroundings and I think we would find it quite hard to turn down a place there for my DD as I think she would enjoy the academic environment! It did strike me when we visited the school for the open evening all those months ago, that the art department was particularly unimpressive compared to all the other schools that we toured and art it IMO a great comliment to a very academic curriculum. I have heard that they have plans to build a new art block, but don't know how soon this is likely to happen?

Forest to me seems like to most down to earth of the three. Its not that the setting isn't impressive as some of the building are beautiful, but somehow to me it seemed like a really good state school should be. Much less airs and graces than the other two and I felt that it had a homely feel that I really warmed to. The single sex teaching is a real advantage IMO as it caters for the best of both worlds in that girls and boys have the opportunity to mix without the distractions and negatives that co-ed teaching can supposedly bring. Obviously strong in music and sport and has the reputation of getting more than its share into med school, if that's you DC's aspiration!

Chigwell as the smallest of the three has definitely got the best community feel, but yes it is the most expensive, which has to be a consideration when you have three DC as I do! Again I get the feeling that it is a strong all rounder, especially good on sports. I would like to hope that the wonderful drama centre would mean that there is an opportunity for students to flourish in the arts as well as academia. The outdoor pool is a bit of a letdown especially for my DD who is a keen swimmer and would want to make the swimming team wherever she goes.

In conclusion... it is so tough, epsecially when like me, you are just praying for one offer, to choose one. To have to make the choice will be a nice position to be in, but not one I am at yet.. sorry if that's a cop out! :wink:
Abba

Post by Abba »

This is all really useful! DS too has got an invite for an interview to Bancroft's :)
Anyway, my sister has Bancrofts scholarship interview coming up.
wsc, did the school specify that in the letter or did you give them a ring to find out?

Anyway, all the very best to your sister!
dd34

Post by dd34 »

The not knowing and waiting is soooo hard therefore called again to find out and yes the admissions lady is off sick so letters were not posted yesterday, those who have interviews Wednesday were phoned up due to short notice. Not sure when they will be posted. :(
bethany

Post by bethany »

Does that mean that the interview letters for Bancrofts have still not gone out!! Surely this is a huge embarrassment for the school to keep so many prospective parents hanging on for so long? :x

I can't believe that there is no-one else capable of getting these letters in the post?! And what a time to be off sick!

Or they could take the same approach as other schools. Save the trees and just email EVERYONE! :idea:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now