Update from Morning Glory - Our journey has ended

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Morning Glory

Update from Morning Glory - Our journey has ended

Post by Morning Glory »

Just thought I would update anyone who followed our appeal last year.

After the appeal in February 2010 we went on to request a Statutory Assessment for DS, which was refused. We then appealed as the reasons for the refusal were weak to say the least. 3 weeks before we were due to go to the tribunal the LA pulled out and agreed to assess - that was back in October 2010.

I have always been told that I would never get my DS a statement but TODAY, I am in receipt of DS's proposed 'Statement of Special Educational Needs', with more hours of support than we expected. To top it all had a meeting with his school on Friday and cannot be more happy with the support and understanding they have of DS's needs.

There are people on this forum that have given me the strength to fight for the support he needs - I would like to thank Alex, Sally-Anne, Greta2 (who shared so much personal information and made me believe it was all possible) and of course Etienne (for giving me the belief in myself and my ability)

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
Etienne

Re: UPDATE FROM MORNING GLORY - OUR JOURNEY HAS ENDED

Post by Etienne »

Brilliant news, MG.
Last year a triumphant appeal against all the odds - and now this!

Surely no more Everests left to climb?
- just a few gently undulating hills?
:D
Etienne
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

That is fantastic news to hear MG, hopefully you have no more fighting for what's right. I do hope you have given yourself a big pat on the back too :D
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

well done morning glory - what an Intrepid explorer you have been :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi MG

After all the years I have spent on this forum, with all the heartache and tragic situations I have seen, I really didn't think that anything could make me burst into tears.

I just did.

My congratulations to you are the most sincere I have ever given, and I am delighted that I was able to help you in some ways.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, much of the credit (from this forum, beyond your own determination) for your successful appeal and your overdue success in gaining recognition for your son's disability, rests with the wonderful Etienne.

I was a "bit-part player", but I am very proud to have had a role in the whole saga.

Sally-Anne
x x x
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Well done MG! A real triumph of perseverance. :D
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Well done 'Morning Glory' - I am so pleased to hear your good news, for you and your son. :D x x x
Heartmum x x x
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

WOW MG! :D

You have certainly leapt some hurdles over the last 12 months and I am so plesed for you and your son that you have finally got the outcome he deserves.

Fantastic news.

PS I saw your message just after receiving an email from Parent Partnership that their funding is to be severely cut. :cry:
As both you and I have found, the SEN process is not for the faint hearted and it always makes me concerned for those children whose parents don't have the skills, knowledge or staying power to puruse things.
rubyrubyruby

Post by rubyrubyruby »

MG Well done!!

I have read all of your postings from the appeal saga and took great comfort and strength from them-you really got under the skin of all the complicated detail and presented it in a clear way, I am sure you did the same with getting the statement. You have done such a wonderful job for your DS

good news indeed

RRR
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

As both you and I have found, the SEN process is not for the faint hearted and it always makes me concerned for those children whose parents don't have the skills, knowledge or staying power to puruse things.
Greta2
No I agree the SEN process is not for the faint hearted and I too worry about the parents who are bullied by the LA. I'm sure a lot of parents would have received the refusal to assess letter and taken it no further.

I cannot thank you enough for your support Greta our DS's are so similar in many ways and you shared some very personal information with me which I am grateful for. Having been told by so many people that I would never get him a statement you do start to doubt yourself but knowing you had been in a very similar position and had managed to get one, I was driven to prove them all wrong.

The 11+ and appeal system may seem very unfair to some and it is not a nice process. This forum is however amazing, the expertise and support it gives parents from tutoring through appeal and beyond is second to none. I have yet to find a forum that has such expertise to help unpick the SEN system which I think is more complex and complicated. As Greta has said Parent Partnership is supposed to be there to support parents but funding is being dramatically cut. There are two other charities that help with SEN issues but trying to get through on the phone is nigh on impossible.

I went in to see DS's old HT today as she had asked if I minded if she saw a copy of the proposed statement (she did a lot of work towards his 11+ appeal and his statement) and I wanted to thank her for her support throughout the years. She already had a copy as LA had sent one to her and she was thrilled and said he was a the school that was most suited to him and now had the support he needed and wished him the very best for the future.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now