Who Gets the Best Jobs?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nigs

Who Gets the Best Jobs?

Post by nigs »

Might be an interesting programme on BB2 on Wednesday 2 Feb - 9pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yb5kv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are the best jobs being snapped up by an increasingly small gene pool of privileged, well-connected families?
pheasantchick

Re: Who Gets the Best Jobs?

Post by pheasantchick »

I'll be watching, if only to see if there are any eligilbe daughters my DS's can marry!
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Haha Pheasantchick, a good reason to watch :D
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

This is on tonight. No doubt another biased view. At least half the parents at DS school are first time buyers, although this is not the case for DS1's school where we may be the only ftb! :shock: But I would think there are more schools like DS2's and only a small number of very socially exclusive schools.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I am interested in how they define the best jobs. Are they the ones that pay better,or less paid artistic jobs?What about the jobs that really leave you feeling as though you have made a difference? Is the best job the one that you look forward to doing rather than feeling as though you have to be there? How do you decide?
I think this is going to come down to each individuals point of view, although I am sure that there will be something controversial in this program.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

I suspect that the best jobs are those that have the highest profile and/or influence for the least apparent imput. Much like the £80K a year for 2 days a month directors and advisors we see so often. (Jealous? Me? Well, maybe a little :wink: ).
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
Waiting_For_Godot

I found the programme really dull....

I do wonder if young people would get on in life if "speaking properly" was encouraged in ALL schools. There is nothing wrong with an accent but there is no need to drop t's, r's or to include phrases like "init, like" within a professional environment.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I found it very sad, for some reason it was very depressing for me. Its nothing knew but it broke my heart seeing some of those young people all wanting to be actors and nothing else.

WFG whats "speaking properly"? Its the people at the top dictating what is speaking properly is. Surely we need more diversity and it would be a dull place if we all spoke the same.
Impossible is Nothing.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Absolutely nothing new in there that I didn't already know.

But the whole point is, those that need to know about this, wouldn't watch this sort of programme anyway (and that was the whole point of the programme too!).

Tipsy, I know exactly what you mean, there was one girl on there (the Londoner who goes to Nottingham University) her speech was terrible. I mean like, it's what she was saying, innit.

Now then, which sort of helicopter parent are you - a banker or an agent? :shock: Who, moi???? :lol: :lol:
Waiting_For_Godot

Speaking properly is pronouncing the letters in each word, except the nuiances in a few words before anyone starts being pedantic. When I was at my rough comp we were always pulled up by slovenly speech and no offence Sherry_D but the schools that you are looking at will produce children who speak properly. I say properly and not well because accent has nothing to do with it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now