Year Four Syllabus

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ambridge

Year Four Syllabus

Post by Ambridge »

Sorry to spoil Everything Else, it is usually such a fun site to read, it's irresistable!!

However, all fun stops now, I need help from my cyber buddies. I had a not very nice parents evening last night for my August born-8 year old Year Four daughter. She has always done very well and appeared as bright as a button but having moved from her tiny first village school to a junior school last September, its all gone downhill.

A lot of it appears to be down to her rubbish teacher (who is apparently being monitored with regard to her ability) but obviously my daughter is no angel and loves being in a big class, she now has a social life, lots of naughty kids who entertain her, she has found a big new world.

So from being 3's in Year 2 SATS and 4c/4c/4b in Year 3 alternative SATS, she is now 4c/3b/3a in otherwise is going backwards!!! I was very surprised and not very impressed.

The school has a couple of excellent teachers, one of which I am hoping she will have next year so my question is, I quite obviously need to boost her at home, I think its too late this year for a tutor.

She has very little homework so I am quite happy a few times a week to sit with her for 20 mins and work through various papers.

However, is there a website which indicates what she should be doing now, is there a Year Four cyber teacher who could point me in the right direction, where do I get alternative SATS for this year for practice, she is doing NFER tests in June, can I get Year Four NFER papers?

Sorry if this post is too specific, more than happy with a PM if I am being too self-indulgent, anything would be a help. I need to get her concentration up, and once again, get her ahead of the game (especially as there are 36 in the class with 6 kids really playing havoc).

Any help and advice is gratefully received.

Thanks x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Ambridge

The trouble with teachers is that they are so damnably human and fallible, aren't they? :cry: Some years you win, some years you lose. Let's hope for the good teacher next year - maybe you could do some lobbying behind the scenes?

Despite having a son in year 4 I am shamefully ignorant of the bigger picture of the curriculum and standards of attainment for his year.

However, to give you some nice ideas, I posted this link elsewhere recently. It is full of resources for Primary teachers, all completely free, and they look like fun. I'm sure that plenty of them would fit into 20 minutes a day.

http://www.teachingideas.co.uk/

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Ambridge - this is a bit 'heavy' but its the teacher planning materials to give you an idea - as she was level 4s you might need to look in Y5 as well as Y4.

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primaryframeworks

What about the bbc website - www.bbc.co.uk/schools/websites/4_11/ it has some fun things

OTHER SITES REFERENCED HERE DELETED BY FORUM ADMIN AS THEY ARE COMMERCIAL WEBSITES
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I can't speak for Forum Admin, but my view is that anything that is free support for parents is usually welcome.

I have previously posted suggestions for semi-commercial educational sites that I believed were helpful. I also saw that Catherine had a concern about commercial links this morning.

It really is a judgement call every time, and it is over to the Moderators to decide if a recommendation posted by a registered Member with the purpose of helping others is just helpful, rather than an "advertisement".

I think my suggestion to all would be: if in doubt, put the name of the site on the forum, and then we can all Google from there.

All your links look very helpful Guest55 - I shall sneak a look at them for my son! :)

Thank you
Sally-Anne
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Some years you win, some years you lose. Let's hope for the good teacher next year
Ambridge

Surprise! Going to say something sensible now.

My LBS had very disruptive Yr 4 and 5 with 2 teachers taking the class,chopping and changing staff,maternity leave,supply teachers etc..I thought there was no way he was going to be ready to knuckle down to do THE EXAMS.

same as your child, there were also social things to deal with,sensitive children, naughty ones and extremely confident girls who inadvertently made the boys do more silly things!!

Moderate homework but not challenging enough for LBS.

I had to DIY but it was very straightforward...Basic Maths and Reading every day just so his foundations were good. I did an inordinate amount of talking, discussing things and essentially brainwashing him into thinking he was very good in his work. I found some of his old stuff at Yr 4 and they were very simple things....homemade Maths worksheets, scraps of English writing, drawings followed by 2 paragraphs of creative musings,Quizzes,simple concise book reviews(to extend writing). We also played a lot of Board games to encourage conversation/Maths skills.

At that age,LBS just needed to communicate well and also to fathom the real world. I think he was the quieter of the 2 kiddos but he is actually a dark horse...he proved himself well by holding his own.

Sometimes, I felt I could have home schooled him but he really needed to be with other children so that he could learn to differentiate acceptable and unreasonable behaviour.

Once his confidence grew, he concentrated better as well..a sheet of work soon became 2 sheets..If your child can sit with you happily for work then it's great. Only thing is that it was a lot of work on my part,motivating him and keeping him going without realising how much work he's putting in.

LBS actually said he didn't think he worked so hard but what he did not know is how much preparation I put in (Yr 4)...when it seems like fun and not work, I did not get too much resistance..there were times when I felt why can't the school do a better job?Actually, I didn't even really know exactly what was in the school curriculum as it seemed to move at its own pace with many other things in between.

There are lots of material for parents to use..I didn't use anything out of the ordinary and in hindsight that was enough for passing the exams...just as well, LBS was not ill or too nervous on the days he did his tests.

Hope this helps a bit.
Ambridge

Year Four Syllabus

Post by Ambridge »

Cybies, what can I say but thank you all so much for giving me some fab info, I suddenly feel I have direction and will mooch through all your good advice in the coming days and make a plan for me and MiniMe.

Many, many thanks for all the pointers, I don't feel quite so alone - we will survive, hey hey

Thanks again xx
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Ambridge,

There's lots of material out there targeting any year group a parent wishes to support: WHSmiths, Waterstones, Amazon, CGP, Bookpeople, Letts.. etc etc (They're not really after your money, though :wink: )
Nfer also do Papers in thier 'GO' range, for 8-9yrs for prep re your June test.

As they are age specific titles, the material will generally be at the correct level for school too.

Have FUN!!!!

BW
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Ambridge,

Some free extra papers here that I have found useful,

Website removed by moderator,it is against form rules to advertise.

Also used Letts, they have a book for each year and subject, and CGP who are good and fun.

stevew61

Post by Guest »

I wouldn't worry to much if I were you,have you considered that there might be a discrepency in the marking?

The infant teacher might have been marking on the high side after all schools are judged on marks achieved.

The junior teacher might be marking on the side of caution.

It is uncommon for children to go backwards,they normally just don't progress.

Also children come on at different rates,I have seen children at the top fall back,and children in the middle far surpass them by the end of primary.

I am a firm believer that some parents make the decision about the 11+ far to early.How can you tell where your child will be in year 5?
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Thanks guest, I do appreciate what you are saying. I was probably being a little too kind in my initial post.

The vast majority of children in my child's class, since September, have failed to reach their targets (which are based on levels they attained the year/s before). These are kids who have come up either through the school, joined last year or this year so something is definitely amiss.

The point is, I would like to feel confident that my child maintains or betters the standard she reached last year, not an unreasonable request... and considering this time next year we will be looking at whether she has the ability to sit the 11+ I want to be assured that when the class has been taught this years' syllabus, that she understands all of it, hence my initial postings. I thought I could fill in any gaps at home because it does not look like it is going to happen in the classroom.

Regards
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now