Trinity boys

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Waiting_For_Godot

Trinity boys

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I have broken my NYR but I don't care as my son is too important, and he will always come first over me! :roll: :wink:

I would really like as much information on Trinity, especially entry at 13+, which I know is less common. How difficult is 13+, how selective is the school and what level is required for music scholarships.

I'm also keen to know what the music is like, especially the boys choir, and the behaviour of the boys/ethos of the school. DC has never been in a London school, let alone a senior school. Would it be a culture shock from country schools? I am looking for a strong music school, all boys and a day school with no Saturday school and I assume Trinity ticks these boxes. :?
la boume

Re: Trinity boys

Post by la boume »

Dear WFG, I am sure that you've seen that information about music scholarships at Trinity website, but just in case...

Music scholarships are awarded to pupils who show exceptional musical promise on at least one instrument. Most candidates are between Grade 3 and Grade 5 on their principal instrument (Grade 8 in the SIxth Form). Pupils who perform well enough in the entrance examination to be offered a place at the school are invited to audition in late January or early February of the year of entry (December for Sixth Form applicants). Two types of award are given:

Music Scholarships - Up to 50% fee remission of the school fee; free music tuition on two instruments (tuition at school or with a private teacher); free loan of orchestral instruments.
Music Tuition Awards - free music tuition on two instruments (tuition at school or with a private teacher); free loan of orchestral instruments.
A separate application form must be completed for music scholarship applicants

Looks like Grade 3-4 at 10+, grades 4-5 at 11+, 5-6 and above for 13+. Quite standard, as far as I know
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Trinity is a lovely caring school with a strong music school. Headmaster has a very good reputation.
Their main intake is at eleven and age 13 entry this year was particularly difficult and we knew some disappointed families
No Saturday school
Waiting_For_Godot

Do you know anymore about the boys choir? It looks very impressive and includes the type of music DS would like to pursue - opera - but are the opera roles only for unbroken voices or for all age groups?
Waiting_For_Godot

Do you know anymore about the boys choir? It looks very impressive and includes the type of music DS would like to pursue - opera - but are the opera roles only for unbroken voices or for all age groups?
Third time round

Post by Third time round »

My DS started at Trinity in September with a music scholarship of 25%. He is having a fabulous, but very busy, time.
He entered at 11 plus and was grade 2 on 2 instruments when they first saw him for an 'informal chat', passing his grade 3 on 2 instruments and singing a month later just before the audition.
The music department told me that they are not looking for a particular grade at any age, but talent and potential.
The Trinity boys choir is actually several choirs which perform under the same name. Some are just for Trebles and others across the spectrum. Boys have to audition for the choirs.
My DS had only been at the school for six months and has already made 3 TV appearances and will be performing in operas and at the Albert Hall in the next few months. Because he is a chorister he has free weekly singing lessons which he loves. Choristers span all voices and ages.

Good Behaviour and manners are the highest priority in the school and academic expectations are high. The atmosphere is friendly and supportive. I have never heard any parent make a negative comment about anything.

I suggest you look round and make an informal apporintment with the director of music who will explain everything and let you know if he would like your son to audition.

Hope this helps.
Waiting_For_Godot

Third time round, the choir and music are a big selling point for me. Do the boys with broken/changed voices have opportunites to perform in Opera's and at presitigious venues?

He is Y5 and currently about to sit G4 Bassoon, G2 double bass, G5 singing and G1 piano but he would be looking for a 13+ scholarship and I expect he will slow down musically when the Y6-8 workload and choir timetable increases so he may only move up 1-2 grades in these instruments. Do you think this would be a fair level for a scholarship? I know at other schools there are boys with G8 piano and violin audtioning for scholarships at 13+ and there is no way my son could ever get to that level.

Also, what is the expectation for a music scholar? Do lessons need to be taken at school, is it compulsory to be part of the ensembles? This is not a problem but it would be good to know. Other schools make music scholars drop a GCSE for GCSE Music too.
Waiting_For_Godot

Third time round, the choir and music are a big selling point for me. Do the boys with broken/changed voices have opportunites to perform in Opera's and at presitigious venues?

He is Y5 and currently about to sit G4 Bassoon, G2 double bass, G5 singing and G1 piano but he would be looking for a 13+ scholarship and I expect he will slow down musically when the Y6-8 workload and choir timetable increases so he may only move up 1-2 grades in these instruments. Do you think this would be a fair level for a scholarship? I know at other schools there are boys with G8 piano and violin audtioning for scholarships at 13+ and there is no way my son could ever get to that level.

Also, what is the expectation for a music scholar? Do lessons need to be taken at school, is it compulsory to be part of the ensembles? This is not a problem but it would be good to know. Other schools make music scholars drop a GCSE for GCSE Music too.
Third time round

Post by Third time round »

I'm not sure i know the answers to all your questions but i will try.....

My son auditioned when he was in year 6, and had just taken grade 3 in two instruments and singing, he had only been learning for 2 years, so it was his rapid progress and high exam marks they were interested in. I don't think there are strict rules at Trinity...thats why you would have to go along with your DS so he could play to them.

As a music scholar my son is kept busy with his music but other interests are encouraged. He has tuition paid for on two instruments but has been allowed to stay with his own teachers outside school. He is expected to join ensembles, I was sent a letter inviting him to two a week which isn't a heavy load.

The concert choir which tours is for trebles (unbroken voices), but boys with broken voices sing in the choirs too. I could let you know about the operas after May when my DS has sung in one!

If I were you, I would take your son along in November of year 6, meet the director of music and discuss your options with him, he is very helpful!
Waiting_For_Godot

Yes I would be very interested to hear about any choir events, especially those with broken voices, thanks.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now