appeal to an independent school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
worriedmum

appeal to an independent school

Post by worriedmum »

Would anyone know if u could make an appeal to King Edward Independant School if ur child has failed the exam? My son sat for the scholorship/bursaries but was unscuccessful.

Re: appeal to an independent school

Post by Guest »

worriedmum wrote:Would anyone know if u could make an appeal to King Edward Independant School if ur child has failed the exam? My son sat for the scholorship/bursaries but was unscuccessful.
No, that is one of the many advantages of being an independent school - they don't have to put up with this sort of nonsense.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

No, that is one of the many advantages of being an independent school - they don't have to put up with this sort of nonsense.
What is nonsense about somebody who wants to appeal? I'm sure even Albert Einstein himself would have had days when he wasn't up to his usual standard for whatever reason.[/quote]
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Think this is one of those times when I knew I would need your broom Sally-Anne.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

worriedmum wrote:Would anyone know if u could make an appeal to King Edward Independant School if ur child has failed the exam? My son sat for the scholorship/bursaries but was unscuccessful.
Hi - not clear did your son fail the exam or just fail to get a scholarship / bursary?

If he passed it may be worth making it clear to the school that you want to be considered for a bursary at a later stage if you can afford to send him there anyway at the present time.
Otherwise if he failed the exam then as far as I know they have a waiting list of people they will offer places to if others reject them and those are the places they would fill before considering any others - they are children who the school have already decided they want if only they had the space..
KES parent

Post by KES parent »

hermanmunster wrote:
worriedmum wrote: Hi - not clear did your son fail the exam or just fail to get a scholarship / bursary?
If he passed it may be worth making it clear to the school that you want to be considered for a bursary at a later stage if you can afford to send him there anyway at the present time.
Otherwise if he failed the exam then as far as I know they have a waiting list of people they will offer places to if others reject them and those are the places they would fill before considering any others - they are children who the school have already decided they want if only they had the space..
KES would have written to tell you if your child is on the waiting list. They only offer financial support to the top scorers in the test, and it is quite hard to get in even to pay full fees. They have about 3 or 4 applicants for each place. I am sure they won't allow appeals as they consider all applications carefully and do interviews, so they wouldn't then start changing their mind.
KES parent

Post by KES parent »

hermanmunster wrote: If he passed it may be worth making it clear to the school that you want to be considered for a bursary at a later stage if you can afford to send him there anyway at the present time.
Forgot to mention they also say that if you don't get a bursary on first application you won't be considered for one in subsequent years. Funding is only available for Year 7 or boys entering 6th form from other schools. I think they have a small amount of funding for unexpected emergencies, eg death or sudden redundancy of parent paying fees, but there would be no long term finance available for someone not applying/qualifying for a bursary right from the start.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now