Buses from New Malden to Sutton - 213 advice need urgently

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BerrylandsDad

Buses from New Malden to Sutton - 213 advice need urgently

Post by BerrylandsDad »

So, we have to decide between offers from both Sutton & Tiffin by end of day tomorrow (my son is statemented, and statemented applications get dealt with first because of the added layer of administration involved).

We lean towards Sutton, as we liked the atmosphere more when attending open evenings. Also the preference of football over rugby and science over performing arts are both important considerations, for reasons related to my son's statement. Also, the support and admin staff at Sutton have been sensationally good in all our dealings with them.

Trouble is, Tiffins is on our doorstep, half a dozen stops away on K2, whereas getting to Sutton will be a real drag. We've looked at trains from Berrylands and Surbiton, via Wimbledon. We've thought of moving to Sutton or Epsom but that's a real headache because of schooling considerations for his younger sisters. Now we're looking at the 213 bus from New Malden. Does anyone have any idea of what time he'd need to catch it from New Malden station to get to Sutton in time for the start of the school day? I know from bitter experience how congested things can get around Cheam around 8AM. Would he be looking at a 6AM alarm call or something horrific like that? Likewise, how much of his afternoon would be spent getting home again? I know the timetable says it's about 25 minutes off-peak. What does that translate to at the times he'll actually need it?
Last edited by BerrylandsDad on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex

Re: Buses from New Malden to Sutton - 231 advice need urgent

Post by Alex »

Try:

http://www.traveline.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for full timetable information. You can phone them as well - I have always found them very helpful and efficient.
BerrylandsDad

Re: Buses from New Malden to Sutton - 213 advice need urgent

Post by BerrylandsDad »

Thanks, Alex.

Trouble is, I know the timetable and how long it ought to take off-peak, I just need to know what it's actually like on the ground at 8AM.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Don't know about your timetables but ours in the city take some account of the traffic, i.e. have longer journey times for the peak hours. However, journeys at busy times can vary considerably. Hope someone with local knowledge can help you.
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

The 213 takes at least an hour each way. More on bad days.

Edited by Alex to remove potentially offensive comments
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Hi Berrylands Dad,

Would you be able to try the journey yourself tomorrow morning? Maybe leaving about 7:30 and seeing if you can make it in time for the start of the day? (or find out when the X26 leaves)

Congratulations on being in a situation where you can choose between the two schools( and please beware of everything you read on the forum, some members seem very bitter in some of the comments they write).
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

I have a friend with a son at SGS and he has to leave home at 7am every morning to catch 213 from New Malden/Worcester Park.
BerrylandsDad

Post by BerrylandsDad »

Thanks for the suggestions, scoobydoo and 999mum. Looks like we may be back to plan A of trains or plan B of moving. I feared the traffic would prove intolerable.

Edited by Alex to remove potentially offensive comment
catcool

Post by catcool »

Whilst transport is an issue the 213 is not that bad. there are road works at present at Worcester Park High street but they will be finished by Easter.
I have heard the pastoral care is Sutton is very good . I have not heard positive comments on how they deal with statemented boys at Tiffin.
BerrylandsDad

Post by BerrylandsDad »

Thanks, catcool, that's encouraging. I won't be able to do a dry run on the 213 tomorrow as I'm up agtainst a tight deadline at work, but I'll certainly try it over the next couple of weeks.

What you say about pastoral care and statements at both Sutton and Tiffin certainly tallies with our experiences so far - we've been bowled over by how great Sutton's been., while underwhelmed by the attitude that seems to prevail at Tiffin. It also tallies with some remarks made by a friend who is a former member of the teaching staff at Tiffin.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now