What's this new reading scheme ?!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

What's this new reading scheme ?!

Post by scarlett »

My dd school have just told me that my daughter who is 6 will be starting on a new reading scheme..15 mins three times a week...I think they called it " better reading " ? I'm not sure as her teacher tends to drop a bombshell and then disappear ( in a puff of green smoke )Apparently they have just attended a training session and will use 10 children in the school.

Does anyone know what this is all about ? My dd is on stage 9 books and her reading seems ok...she often reads the odd page from Roald Dahl etc.....I'm a bit worried this implies she may be behind , but am pleased that she will be getting 1 to 1....
drummer

Re: What's this new reading scheme ?!

Post by drummer »

haven't head of it but a quick google brings up loads - haven't had time to read through it all yet
drummer

Post by drummer »

but if it really has arisen out of the Reading Recovery Programme as the first site I looked at claims then, I personally, wouldn't be entirely happy. However 3 x week reading out loud is good - just not sure what strategies struggling children would be encouraged to use.

Of course the children will improve but questions would remain as to 1) whether the gains are maintained long term (not the case with Reading Recovery) 2) whether the children would have done better with an alternate programme.

Your school won't be able to answer either question as 1) they won't be following up the children for long enough and 2) they won't have any control in place (other than children who do not receive any intervention)
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

"Better Reading" is supposed to be aimed at children whose reading age is about 1 year below their chronological age - which doesn't sound like the case for your child. Schools have different ideas about reading ages, however, and maybe she is in a particularly able class. I think it can only do your daughter good to get the extra attention but, if you are at all worried, (and it sounds as if you are) go ask her teacher.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I did google it, and saw that it was for children whose reading is a year behind, which I'm sure my dd isn't.I will have to ask her teacher.....I was told at the last parents evening that she was doing well and moved into a higher literacy group, so thats why I thought there may be another reason behind the scheme and thought someone here might know.

I did ask if she was behind and the teacher laughed and said not at all, it was to allow her to develop from a good reader to a brilliant one.It all seems a bit weird....the only other thing I can think of is that I have had a few run ins and complained that her reading books hadn't been changed etc...
drummer

Post by drummer »

I think it will be to improve her 'fluency' and confidence, and if just that, it may well be a good thing
doodles

Post by doodles »

I really don't know anything about the scheme at all but first reaction is that one to one can only be good for fluency and confidence at reading out loud and the thing that my DS was always pulled up on expression :) Even if my DC was a great reader I think I would welcome one to one 3 times a week.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

It could be that.....she does stop at the full stops ( which my son's never did ) but is a bit painful at times even though she can read the words.I was told her comprehension was really good and her teacher even raved about her saying she was extremely intuitive and was often the only child in the class who could read between the lines....thats why it's a bit of a shock !!!

It is great that she is getting extra attention though....I'm just grieving for my daughter who I thought was bright ! It always seems to be the same with my children.Both the boys had the early learning support and I was so depressed thinking they were both dim...well, ds 1 did so well in his 11 plus, on level 5 etc and ds2 is starting to amaze me....so maybe we are just late developers ! :D It just goes to show, not to worry and just go with the flow....had a glass of wine so feeling better !! Thanks everyone....knew I could count on you all !! :D
doodles

Post by doodles »

Don't go reading anything about your DD's ability into this. At DS's school they have a reading club which every boy has to attend at sometime during the school year (Yr4). They do it to encourage confidence and expression (that word again!).
drummer

Post by drummer »

reading ability is not about being bright and from what you are saying your DD probably does find reading more difficult than her peers but because she is so bright she is able to compensate. I think the programme will probably really help - the more fluid and effortless her reading becomes then she won't have to work as hard on the decoding and word and puntuation analysis as she is right now which will allow her to expend even more cognitive energy on comprehension etc. PLUS she will hopefully enjoy reading all the more.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now