Is it too late to apply for a place at independent school?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
veryworriedmum

Is it too late to apply for a place at independent school?

Post by veryworriedmum »

Hi!

My ds has given his exams at different grammar schools and we are waiting for the final offer which is to be given on 1st of March 2011. Are there any independent schools where we could apply for a place if we are not happy with the offer made to us or are we too late :( ? We stay in a rented property and can take the decision to move near the school. Can anybody help us please?

Thanks
veryworriedmum
Me2010

Re: Is it too late to apply for a place at independent schoo

Post by Me2010 »

I think you would have to contact the schools you have in mind directly. I think Farringtons for example in Chislehurst does another round after the state school allocation at the beginning of March for those who may not have got the school of their choice and I suspect they are are not alone. The only thing is that you will probably be out of the running for bursaries/scholarships as they will already have been allocated in the first round.

Good luck.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

you should be ok with non-selective indepenent schools but most of the selective independent schools are not accepting any more requests. but check with selective indies also during next couple of months but unlikely that your request will be considered.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi veryworriedmum - don't worry there is loads of movement after March 1st. remember many people who get a GS place on march 1st will also have been offered Indie places and they will see these as "back up" and then these will become available.

I know of many people (many parts of the country) who have contacted Indies in the early - middle weeks of March as they were unhappy with their allocated school and have been able to get places.

Some Indies are highly sort after and will have waiting lists but others will lose many to the GS's.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Hi veryworriedmum, some indie schools will have places that become available after 1st March as children will have been offered the grammar school of their choice. Last year we had a reserved place at an indie school (we were very fortunate that we only had to commit to taking the place after the results of the 11+ and at no cost to ourselves). DS received the offer of a place at grammar school in the end so we were able to free up the indie place for someone else. Four years ago my DD managed to secure a place at a good selective indie school after 1st March so there is hope although it may depend on what area you are in as to what opportunities there are. :)
veryworriedmum

Post by veryworriedmum »

Thank you so much everyone for all those replies! We are looking for a possible application in independent schools in London Borough of Sutton or the Kingston. Can anyone suggest good independent schools in those boroughs? Any words of advice and guidance would be really helpful!

Thanks again
veryworriedmum
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

I don't whether it's too far from you but have you thought of Radnor House? It's the new school opening in Twickenham in September in the old St James' building and is still taking registrations (with open days Feb 26th and March 12th).
doingmybest

Post by doingmybest »

Head of DS prep is very supportive of Radnor House, he knows the people setting it up and says will be a very good school.
There will be independent places available at 13+ in your area, if you can find a prep school to take him for 2 years. I know its not ideal, but its good to know there are options if its your worst case scenario. Shrewsbury and Rokeby will not take in at year 7, but others will.
For 13+ entry you could still try for Hampton, pre-test in year 7, KGS are supposed to be having a 13+ intake in 2013 test in year 8, Halliford, St Georges, Claremont, Reeds etc all have further entry at 13+.
There are also the more expensive 13+only entry schools like Epsom College. They are very expensive but very nice and if trawling round the websites keep you occupied whilst waiting for the results all the better for it.
There are lots of options if necessary, so don't panic and I am sure it will all work out anyway.
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

I wouldn't worry too much. There will be some people who did apply on time, get interviews and still not get offers due to high level of competition. So, you'll probably be in the same boat as them in some respects. Definately worth ringing around any potentials to see if there are possibilities, register your interest early on.
Good Luck, sure you'll find something.
pepys

Post by pepys »

Radnor house looks lovely, but I wonder how academic it will be? They ask for min 6 'c's for 6th form whereas as most mid level schools ask for 6 'b's. It is good to see the prep heads supporting it. What sort of children is your headmaster pitching it to? My DS is a non sporty, above average academically but not hugely academic. He is musical and I know that the headmaster of Radnor has an interest in music and drama. I was impressed by the head, deputy and chairman at their open day and as I say it all looks and sounds lovely, but must admit that I am a bit nervous that I might be gambling DS education with an unproven school.