Getting little poppet into a decent school_ Evening Standard

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mailme

Getting little poppet into a decent school_ Evening Standard

Post by Mailme »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... s-war.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol: :roll: :cry: :twisted:
Mailme

Re: Getting little poppet into a decent school_ Evening Stan

Post by Mailme »

Sorry I meant "Daily Mail" - not "Evening Standard" as per the Thread title. :)
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

This article shows how crazy it has all got.

(PS. what are you doing up at 3am in the morning?!)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I swear the columnists who write most of the pieces in this paper read this forum. So many times I've read things and thought hmmm, we were just talking about that last week/the other day, whenever.

So come on, if you're reading this, confess and we'll give you more stories :lol: :lol: :lol:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Snowdrops wrote:I swear the columnists who write most of the pieces in this paper read this forum. So many times I've read things and thought hmmm, we were just talking about that last week/the other day, whenever.
I totally agree! :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I am quite sure they do read internet forums, saves having to think up original ideas and all your research is done sitting at your desk with the skinny latte or whatever..

from a post on the forum in the last few days:

docklands wrote:If your child was treated appallingly at an interview, would you write to the head about it? At the time of this happening we were too busy focusing on other interviews/ auditions/ tests we had to attend, but now looking back at the process I still feel angry at the two adults interrogating a 10 year old and nearly reducing her to tears. This happened at one of the less academic schools, to which we applied as a back-up. In contrast, DD enjoyed her interviews with all other schools and at one of the more competitive schools (with a hot-house reputation) she emerged out of the room laughing and smiling broadly.
from the dailymail:
Many schools now boast a ten-to-one ratio of applicants to places. And the more competitive the entry process, the ‘cockier the attitude of the school’, says an Essex mother, who bemoans the fact that some have started asking pretentious ‘Oxbridge-type questions’ of would-be pupils.
She recalls her ten-year-old daughter’s experience at the hands of ‘two men in tweedy jackets acting like they were in Dead Poets’ Society, with their feet up on the desk’, asking her whether she would rather live on a hill or in a valley, then staring out of the window while she struggled to reply.
pist

Post by pist »

"The coaching craze, he adds, ‘in the case of grammar schools, is the inevitable consequence of demand exceeding supply. It would be solved by David Cameron discovering his Conservative convictions and creating some more’."

YES PLEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

When I went for school interview (1982) the head teacher asked me "Would you rather be blind or deaf?" I think I'd rather have had the hill/valley question.
youngmum

Post by youngmum »

Pushy parent or not. We all want the best for our kids and if the best is to avoid schools where they will need an electric scanner before they go into the school then so be it (to make sure they do not have any weapons).
Most parents want their children to be self sufficient and successful in life and thanks to the govt and the education system in this country, yes our kids have to endure coaching and tutoring to get into the good schools if they are borderline kids.
What we get is kids at schools where we can go to work and have peace of mind, knowing there are no knife fights or guns being shot and also a place where you know they will be taught and disciplined as required.
arrgee1991

Post by arrgee1991 »

youngmum wrote: ...our kids have to endure coaching and tutoring to get into the good schools if they are borderline kids.
They have to do that no matter how good they are. We thought our son was good as he was in the top set at school in English and Maths, but were shocked when we had him do a sample entrance exam. He would have done well to have got 10% (ten).

We then sent him to a tutorial group for three months or so which didn't really help. In the end, I taught him for the six months or so prior to the entrance exam. Fortunately he did well enough to get in otherwise I might be heading to the divorce courts :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now