Cloze tests

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
um

Cloze tests

Post by um »

Can anyone suggest useful books for 11 plus cloze test practice?
Thank you in advance...
poppit

Re: Cloze tests

Post by poppit »

No sorry um, I haven't been able to find any either. The best resource I've found is the advice on this web site on how to "grow your own Cloze tests". Maybe this gap in the market is a good business opportunity? :wink:
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

I customised my own cloze tests when preparing my DC for last November's test. I found extracts of decent literature (fiction and non-fiction) on the internet, copy and pasted them into word format and then removed letters from various words in the text. This way you can control the level of difficulty yourself.
um

Post by um »

Perhaps you should sell them via the bookstore DenDe :D
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

for Cloze I will post some of the links that were kindly given through the past year, soon that I used for cloze practice with DS

Amazing how many books I accumulated in the past year, all now going to a friend who has already embarked on a similar journey this year with her DS

On a post note, DS got an automatic place into stratford-upon-avon grammar, but not needed as he has a place at KECH.
um

Post by um »

Thanks no-ball,

I had to buy a new 6ft bookcase for all my 11 plus books, it has become that bad :D

But with 4 more to go, I am viewing them all as an investment..

I have now bought 'contemporary cloze' from Amazon, I will certainly be making use of it, but it is American and so I need to change some spellings (traveling. color, etc), plus there are a few popular topics (TV/film stars?) that my children will have no idea of and therefore be unable to complete.
11+ novice

Post by 11+ novice »

[quote="no_ball"]for Cloze I will post some of the links that were kindly given through the past year, soon that I used for cloze practice with DS

no_ball, i am looking forward to the links for the cloze test, have been searching over the internet but not many available and those that are available are very adult level and i don't want to frighten the poor child in the beginning, therefore any help really appreciated!

thanks in advance.

Also um how are the contemporary cloze books, looked at Amazon and they seem to be class graded, any suggestion as to which to buy for 11+.

I know the feeling of how many books you accumulate, i practically live in WHSmith!
um

Post by um »

I bought Grades 6-8. Seems challenging for 10 year olds, but reasonable for 11 plus prep.
They are set out with missing words, not missing letters. It is the missing letters cloze that I'm really needing.

The exams in our area have a very challenging level of vocab so I think the lower grades may not offer the right level...it depends on your area and exams though, I think.
11+ novice

Post by 11+ novice »

noted, thanks a ton for the response. I am looking for missing word cloze tests so these will be perfect! Will be ordering them soon.... more books on the way!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm really interested in this recommendation, that you appear to have made on several threads hp1234, about books which, as far as I can see, have only been published in Sept 2014, so how have you got a child that has successfully been using them.... :shock: or are you just trying to promote them on this forum?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now