Advice on DD

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Araucana

Advice on DD

Post by Araucana »

Hi, newbie here :D
My dd is in year 3 at the moment and I am starting to think about the 11+. This site is great as it is giving me lots of thoughts. I understand that pressure is not the thing at this point, but trying to up the standard of her reading (getting her away from the Rainbow Fairy books!), Scrabble, Boggle etc. Her SATs for KS1 were good for her age, although not exceptional - she is currently a 3a in reading and a 3b in maths if that helps.

My queries are: do I need to find a tutor now and put her name on a waiting list? When should I start her on tutoring if we have this much time? How often should children be tutored formally in addition to home help - a lesson a week?

I have bought the 8-9 age bond books for Maths and English and intend to work on those gradually with her, along with Scrabble etc. and reading her books myself like Anne of Green Gables and other recommendations on here that she might not necessarily read herself yet!! Does that sound good?

Many thanks for all your help and advice.

Andrea
Tea Lover

Re: Advice on DD

Post by Tea Lover »

Hi Araucana,

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. You're starting earlier than I did with the Bond books, but if she enjoys doing them, then I'd keep up with it. It certainly won't be a problem (timewise) if she wants a break from it for a while.

Good tutors do get snapped up quickly, so I think it would be a very good idea to find out the name of a respected tutor in your area and book them up. I think that a year of tutoring is plenty (starting at the beginning of year 5), though I understand that some parents have their children tutored for two years (or more). Imho you are doing all the right things.

Good luck.
Araucana

Post by Araucana »

Brilliant - I don't want to be too pushy, but then I don't want her to miss out :D
Have asked on here for a pm for tutor recommendation. Thanks for your comments, great help.
Tea Lover

Post by Tea Lover »

If any of the current Y6 children have taken the 11+, you could ask their parents if they would recommend their tutor (if they had one). If they were happy with their tutor, you can see it in their face!

Which schools did you have in mind?
Araucana

Post by Araucana »

I am probably looking into WHSG and SHSG (hope I've got the abbreviations right there!). I would love her to go to Chelmsford but don't really think she would have a hope of getting in. Colchester is way too far even if we did have a hope, lol. We are in Billericay.

Have asked for a pm for tutors so that I can make enquiries for waiting lists, so here is hoping.
Another worried Mum

Post by Another worried Mum »

Have sent you a pm regarding tutor in Billericay :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now