ONE WEEK TO A DAY WOOOHOOOOO

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chatternatter

ONE WEEK TO A DAY WOOOHOOOOO

Post by chatternatter »

Yeah cant wait!!!!! finally down to seven days, have been distracted by going on a spa weekend with my sister. Pure bliss and great distraction.
I hope everyone is sleeping well and gets what they are hoping for. xx
morrisdancingmummy

Re: ONE WEEK TO A DAY WOOOHOOOOO

Post by morrisdancingmummy »

I have gone a bit Ticker Mad I think.
Sorry All.

Fingers crossed.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I know that this is probably a really stupid question, but does anyone know when the primary schools are/were told about where our dcs are going?
Ds1 made a strange comment a while ago and as I am slowly going crazy I wondered if I could read anything into it.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
morrisdancingmummy

Post by morrisdancingmummy »

I had the same experience at parents evening 2 weeks ago!

It seemed to me that my DD1s current head knew that my DD2 (due to start primary in Sept) would not be going to her school.

She didn't say anything specific but the way she spoke about things and her body language led me to believe that they know......

I think by now the heads of the recieving schools will know as they will have to be planning numbers/ taster days etc.

She did ask me WHERE DD2 would be going though, and she's the only one who has even contemplated grammars from her primary year I would have thought that if a list arrived her name would have stood out quite a bit from the others!!

So what I'm saying I think is I believe so- but like all good conspiracy theories we'll probably never find out for sure....... :wink:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

We had a presentation at our Appeals Panel Annual Update Training from the Glos CC Admissions Team.

For those considering an appeal, don't worry - we had no contact with them other than them standing at the front talking at us & answering questions just on the topic - they entered after we were assembled & left once they'd finished their presentation. The lady who runs the appeals made very sure that there was no 'contamination' of us panelists!

Anyway, the subject was the Mechanics & Timings of the Admissions Process. Really fascinating. For instance, they do a 'dummy run' with the data a couple of months before the proper run, to see if there are any areas where there will be a shortage of places available - it then gives them chance to (as is happening in Cheltenham for Reception this year) add extra places or classes to schools. The dummy run results are NOT shared with the schools - or at least, info relating to individual children isn't.

We were told that the allocated schools would be told 'a few days in advance', to give them chance to get the welcome letters in the post. There was no mention of 'two weeks or more'.

Of course, the grammars will each have had the results of the 11+ last year, and will have a reasonable idea of if they will be taking all who have passed. But it's only a rough guess, not a certainity, as they do not know which order the parents have placed the schools. Don't forget that most of us have ticked 3 or 4 boxes to have the results shared, and a child can't take up a place at more than one school.

I'm not sure when the primary schools get told where the Y6's are heading next year - they used to be told in advance, but I seem to remember that had stopped by 2 years ago.

Don't forget that you can check up on the Admissions web site - where you filled in the preferences - supposedly from midnight. Last year someone found a short cut that let tem see it from 10pm! The emails took a bit longer to filter through the ether, and I recall someone saying that the letters were going 2nd class to save money (but was not told if that meant they would be posted on Monday, or earlier, for delivery on Tuesday).

As for nervous - argh.
Capers
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Thanks Capers. I thought I was reading to much into it :oops: Nerves I think.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Milla

Post by Milla »

the secretary at our primary confirmed that they only find out on the day which secondaries the Y6s are going to - and on results day, they found out later on the same Saturday when my DS2 found out - but only on a coarse level, passes and non-passes rather than scores which, I imagine, trickled through later.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now