Eligibility Criteria for Bursaries

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

harrow123

Eligibility Criteria for Bursaries

Post by harrow123 »

What is the the total household income beyond which any parent may not be eligible for means-tested scholarship/bursary , I know it varies from school to school

but what are the general guidelines or please share your ideas about the schools that you are aware especially for london/berkshire schools
Waiting_For_Godot

Re: Eligibility Criteria for Bursaries

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Some full boarding schools offer 50% bursaries on a single salary of £90k but this will be less on a joint income of £90k because of differing tax threshold.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

That surprises me. I would have assumed you need a much lower income to be offered a bursary.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

£90k in April 2011 is just under £58k after tax so it would be difficult for most families on that income to afford a £30k boarding school. Other factors such as number of kids and if they are in private education are often factored in too. I remember one of the bursaries we were given was crudely based on taking our income, deduct 70% and if the remainder 30% covered school fees then no bursary would be offered. We had no assets so that wasn't taken into account.

To the OP, every school has a different policy.

EDIT: I should add that the £90k scenario was a friends, not ours! :lol:
Last edited by Waiting_For_Godot on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
AR1890

Post by AR1890 »

Full boarding schools generally tend to be more pricer so I can understand why income can be higher but I think with the City of London girls school,the maximum parental income can be £50,000 for a 25% bursary.

Contacting the schools you're interested in directly will give you better figures and there might also be scholarships avaliable as well that can be used in conjunction with bursaries.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Thanks for the reply.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now