KES Full Fee places vs AP/Scholarship

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
no_ball

KES Full Fee places vs AP/Scholarship

Post by no_ball »

Does anyone know the approx. % of full fee places in the first year at KES please?

Thanks
KES Parent

Re: KES Full Fee places vs AP/Scholarship

Post by KES Parent »

no_ball wrote:Does anyone know the approx. % of full fee places in the first year at KES please?

Thanks
We are told that 30% of the pupils have some kind of financial assistance, either means tested or non means tested, so 70% of pupils must be full fee payers.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

^^Yes, 30% are scholarships/APs and 10% places are free.

It's on the website:
http://kes.interaweb.com/scholarships-a ... laces.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

no_ball wrote:Does anyone know the approx. % of full fee places in the first year at KES please?

Thanks
Also see http://www.trust.kes.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But...
This sounds like a proxy question, no_ball. Something else is troubling you but you think the answer to this question will lead to a resolution?

It might not! You may be asking the wrong question. We may omit complexities in our answer because we don't appreciate that that information would be useful too you. We're all pretty anonymized here, why not directly address what's on your mind? Are you gathering information to inform your decision, or searching for data to support a decision that, in reality, you've already made?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Good on you dibble, only 9.15 so can't manage hidden agendas until later in the morning....... Agreed though, must be summat else that no ball wants to know. I wfnt through 7 years at KEHS without having a clue how many were on free places paying fees or getting help. Only found out about dome 30 years later
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Hi Dibble, thew question was based on an observation and general discussion at the KES evening last week. A very informal straw poll if you will. It seemed that most people that spoke to us there that evening seemed to be on a financial assistance place. As you can guess DS missed out and was only curious as to what the split would be. My mind has been put to rest somewhat with the figures advised.

I shall certainly take your advice on board, although at times I have asked a direct question and someone has always not seen eye-to-eye. I am also weary of this being a 11plus forum and sometimes feel hesitant questions that are not related to tests/technique/books etc.. In terms of decision made on choice of school, I wish that were the case!! The more information we hear/gather, the more questions come to mind to close the lid on that particular panic. Maybe I should cover ears/eyes. Only yesterday we heard ( whether right or wrong) that Camp Hill would be going IB in the very near future.

Lesson learned is to ask the question and explaining the reason. :oops:
fm

Post by fm »

I think this may be coincidence as to whom you met on the evening.

You also should separate bursary and scholarship. Your son would most probably have performed better in the exam than many of the bursary winners; he just doesn't happen to be eligible for one. Scholarships, however, are much rarer (awarded to about 5% of children sitting the exam) although I have heard more were awarded this year but for smaller amounts.

If my pupils were any indication, I think a really good performance across the board was necessary for a scholarship but a really good performance in just one area may have been sufficient for bursary consideration.

I would also imagine that many more were at the KES meeting than who will finally accept places there. I am anticipating an 80% turn down rate from my pupils yet I am fairly sure they would all have attended this meeting, just in case the news isn't good next week.

Theoretically it would be much wiser having this meeting after the 1st March but Mr Claughton is correctly calculating that this may be a good time to 'reel in' the undecided while uncertainty still exists vis-a-vis KE grammar school places.
succeed

Post by succeed »

Just to add my tuppence worth as my ds did not gain a scholarship/ap this year, we were told by the team at kes that, in order to prompt consideration for a scholarship, the child must demonstrate outstanding potential in the Maths section(hence we lost hope at that point :lol: ) and their English skills would have to be reasonably good.In fact,I think kes are quite open about the way in which scholarships are awarded, so you could always ask if unsure.
If many do turn down their offers of scholarships, it could be worth calling kes later on to see if it's possible to negotiate one?Personally, I don't think i'd have the nerve as i'm pretty sure ds wouldn't have come very close to be considered scholarship material for maths.At this stage,we are just very pleased and proud he managed to get a place . :wink:
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I have requested feedback from kes and confirm that maths is the higher weighted subject.

In addition rejected scholarships are not thrown back into the pot for next in line...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now