Chelmsford county high school for girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gaap

Chelmsford county high school for girls

Post by gaap »

I am new to this forum. We live in Cambridge and has a daughter in Yr5 and son in Yr1. If my daughter passes her 11 plus we are planning to move to Chelmsford. I haven't got any idea about the area. Any suggestion on nice area with good primary school and closer to CCHS would be greatly helpful. We are also happy to live in surrounding areas of Chelmsford with easy access to Cambridge. I would also like to know the dates for CCHS open day.

Thanks
Hopefuldad

Re: Chelmsford county high school for girls

Post by Hopefuldad »

Hi

I am going to move too, if we have a positive results.

Areas close to Chelmsford GS's are Broomfield, Springfield and Chelmer Village. You could start looking at these to get a feel for the place. The schools are pretty close to the station so you could use that as a landmark.

The school open days are normally in september, you would haave to contact CSSE to find the exact dates.

HD
Araucana

Post by Araucana »

Just bear in mind that it doesn't make it any easier to get into CCHS if you are close to it - they take from everywhere based on score position in the 11+, unfortunately not just the case of passing it. Someone correct me if I am wrong about this :D

Hope you find somewhere nice, not sure of the areas around Chelmsford myself as in a village outside of it.
moved

Post by moved »

Regarding primary schools you may need to be a bit more specific.

For example, do you want a church school, a private or a state primary?
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

Araucana wrote:Just bear in mind that it doesn't make it any easier to get into CCHS if you are close to it

absolutely correct.You are on the money
Araucana

Post by Araucana »

Hopefuldad wrote:
Araucana wrote:Just bear in mind that it doesn't make it any easier to get into CCHS if you are close to it

absolutely correct.You are on the money
Wish I wasn't - it is the nearest to us of all the grammar schools in Essex - would love for dd to be good enough - we shall see :?
gaap

Post by gaap »

If my DD gets into CCHS we have to relocate and put my son in a good state primary school. As my husband works in Cambridge I would like to settle in a place with easy access to Cambridge, CCHS and good local state primary school. Is there any busroute for buses run by CSSE that connects CCHS and any place in Cambridge route?

Thanks 'Hopefuldad' for suggesting 3 villages nearby. Will have a look at them. Any other ideas please?

Thanks
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Not sure about buses but this is the list you need.

http://www.csse.org.uk/transport.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are certainly children coming from the Sible/Castle Hedingham direction on contract buses to the Colchester Grammar schools but I have no knowledge of the Chelmsford schools.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

I'm new to this forum too. My dd is in yr 5 & will hopefully take the 11+ in November. We live in Chelmsford.

Last Sept I spent a week driving btwn C/ford & Addenbrookes hospital. It took around 1 hr via the A120/M11 & this was during the day so perhaps a little more in rush hour?

CCHS is an extremely competitive school to get into. As prev said they take from all over. IMO it maybe best to not put all yr eggs in the one (school) basket. Perhaps consider the areas between Cford & Colchester or Cford & Southend to widen yr GS options. Consider either Braintree/Gt Notley/Witham or Woodham Ferrers/Rayleigh. Hopefully this will mean less travel time for yr DC.

I believe there are buses to S/end run by the Consortium & also privately (?run by parents). This is not a free service & spaces are limited. My concern would be how my child would get home if they attend extra-curricular activities & the bus has already left? For S/end there isn't a direct train service to Cford (a change is req at Shenfield). Colchester has a direct train service with C/ford & Witham. I think the school buses leave Cford around 7.15am for S/end. I don't know what school bus arrangements there are for Colchester but it maybe on the schools or Consortium website.

In Cford we are lucky with schools. The majority are good with only a couple of exceptions & this is reflected in their location. There are 3 catholic primaries/1 catholic secondary plus many others. Full details on the Essex CC school admissions site.

HTH
Clarabelle
newlandsmum

Post by newlandsmum »

My daughter has just got into CCHSG after going to Newlands Spring Primary. This is an Ofsted outstanding school and I think it's the only outstanding primary in this area. It's a 5 minute drive from CCHSG, in Newlands Spring, which is avery nice area to live in. You don't want to live too far from the school as traffic is very heavy at school run time and even from local villages could take 30 mins.
Hope this helps.