Habs Boys or Merchant Taylors?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
CoolMum5

Habs Boys or Merchant Taylors?

Post by CoolMum5 »

In the lucky position that my little Einstein has earned a place at both and was wondering which you might choose and why? Anyone with any knowledge and or experience of either/both schools out there? I would be very grateful for any advice - either on here or via PM. Thanks x
onetogo

Re: Habs Boys or Merchant Taylors?

Post by onetogo »

hi Coolmum5. I've just posted a reply to similar question re Habs / St Albans so you can see what I think of Habs (which we chose for our DS) in that post. I have friends with sons at MTs who are very pleased with it and I think that both schools offer a great all round education. A big part in our decision last year was the journey to each school - although the boys often regard the school bus as a fun part of the day, a long journey eats into time which is otherwise available for homework / other interests. You also need to consider the fact that you will need to make this journey for any after school events for seven years and, as we have already discovered, a short journey is a blessing!
CoolMum5

Post by CoolMum5 »

Thank you onetogo (fab name by the way!). I shall just go and have a peak at the other post in a minute. Travelling time is not bad at all for either school - and is the reason why we concentrated on these two in particular - for all the reasons you've mentioned! It's one of the reasons why we didn't put DS in for QE boys - although we knew he'd probably get in - we just felt it would be a very long school day. DH thinks that Habs may be stricter - which would be a good thing for our delightful DS as he needs a swift kick up the you-know-what now and again - he's terribly bright (been doing KS3 work for a couple of years now in school and regularly taken out on G&T events to keep him busy! :roll: that sort of thing) but that means he doesn't have to try as hard as some others. He's a great kid and would probably love the more laid back nature of MTS - but would he thrive there? It's so difficult to make the choice - but I am very grateful that we have two such amazing schools to choose from!

PS: I wanted to say a Great Big Thank You to all of the people who sent me private messages regarding this subject! :D
onetogo

Post by onetogo »

I think Habs is appropriately strict, if that makes sense. The email communications between the staff & boys which I have seen are pitched very nicely, but the staff brook no nonsense from the boys. They are particularly hot on homework being in on time. There are also "tracking grades" published every 6 weeks or so on both effort and achievement, so your DS wouldn't be able to get away with slacking for long before you would know about it!
CoolMum5

Post by CoolMum5 »

Just found out that we also got the grammar school of our choice - we probably won't take it up but I'm still thrilled with my little superstar!!! :mrgreen:
onetogo

Post by onetogo »

and rightly so, CoolMum5. Your DS has done very well and now you can breathe a huge sigh of relief! Now comes the enjoyable bit of the process - buying the uniform and feeling proud all over again, the orientation evening for new parents (if your chosen school has one) etc...

Which school did you decide on, or are you still deliberating?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now