typing speed

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

guest4

typing speed

Post by guest4 »

Does anyone know of a good typing programme? I would like to encourage her speed up so that homework on the computer is not so painful.

Post by Guest »

James from Herts thread has suggested MAVIS BEACON typing programme.Have not tried it myself but considering looking at it.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

My children had fun with 'Typing with Timon and Pumbaa'. They've now got a good understanding of the keyboards layout, but it doesn't have anything in the way of building speed once you've masterd the keyboard. Just good old repetition.

Still, lots of fun. I even had a go, and my son had extra incentive by trying to beat me to the finish.

A good starting package for kids.

:D

BW
Y

Post by Y »

Mavis Beacon is a classic. It has the advantage that it's suitable for adults and older children. I insisted my children learnt to touchtype from about Year 1, and used elements from this program. Though they haven't built much speed (we haven't done much practice in the last few years), they are still faster than their peers. If you leave it too late, it's very difficult to maintain touchtyping. My husband spent many an evening with Mavis, but when the pressure was on, he reverted to two-finger typing...
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Sorry,wrong place,got lost
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Quick!!!! Call the cavalry

LBSWM spotted in this vicinity!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

You guys are too quick! just can't take a nap anywhere! BeWILDered will come find you!
The typing was so loud here I got lost...was checking out if they had sterilised the keys with appropriate antiviral,antibacterial,anti anything that moves ,crawls,slides,flies..otherwise I'm not typing(got Marigolds on right now for extra protection)

Kiddos are notorious for nasal contaminations on keyboards,phones,games consoles,door knobs and Monopoly money.

HEALTH WARNING should be included in any typing programme.Swab regularly for personal safety!
Going back home now.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

The typing was so loud here I got lost...was checking out if they had sterilised the keys with appropriate antiviral,antibacterial,anti anything that moves ,crawls,slides,flies..otherwise I'm not typing(got Marigolds on right now for extra protection)

Kiddos are notorious for nasal contaminations on keyboards,phones,games consoles,door knobs and Monopoly money.

HEALTH WARNING should be included in any typing programme.Swab regularly for personal safety!
EEEeeeeYYYYYYuckkkkkkkkk

Enough to put anyone off having kiddo's for life!!

:) :) :)

(Why did we do it???? :wink: )
ANDREW THE POET

Right Type

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

I found all the computer programs a bit fussy. I got hold of an old PITMAN book (Ebay) and simply dictated the exercises. This took me about an hour - worked a treat! Son practised 10 minutes a day and was fairly competent in a couple of months.
PS .... you can even add the tracks to your IPOD!
Andrew
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now