Those with children at Pates when do we hear anymore?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tessiebear

Those with children at Pates when do we hear anymore?

Post by Tessiebear »

Hi those with children at Pates already ie Milla, Proudmumx2, EmeraldE and any others

I saw on the Crypt topic people were saying what you could expect to happen next and wondered if those at Pates already would advise us what to expect next? :D
Ayeup

Re: Those with children at Pates when do we hear anymore?

Post by Ayeup »

We have received a letter this morning which mentions an information pack being emailed and a visit in July
Milla

Post by Milla »

well, you think you'll never forget, but you do!

Certainly pretty pronto Mr F will send you a letter and you can go along for another quick session. This is more of the same really, bit of chat from him, bit of a mingling session and another tramp, should you so wish, along the blue corridors. It takes place in the morning - maybe next week, prior to sending back your final YES! It's really for a reinforcement and for those parents who perhaps didn't look round beforehand. It's also nice because, although you don't learn anything new, it's nice to do without the stress. You're in. It's OK, the test and waiting is all over.
There must be another thing because I didn't take my son to that one but I DID take him to one a bit later on, maybe that's after the yeses are in.

You'll get invited to all the upcoming stuff - like the Spring fair at the beginning of April, and the odd musical event and there's certainly an evening in the summer when you buy your tie and see which house (ie class) your child is assigned to and buy the t-shirt in the corresponding colour - it's all quite sensible, Y is York is green is 7Y, G is Gloucester is green is 7G etc.

Then in the summer your child will spend a day there; in addition we had the option to take up extra French mornings (2 -I think to bring state school children up to scratch but, although I didn't think my son had done any French to speak of at state school, he said that he learnt nothing new but we saw it all as part of the rehabilitation, induction process so along he went) and early in the autumn term there is another mingling sesh for parents with wine and quite a full on plea for cash.

Y7 are sort of forced to do a lot - house singing and chorus in the musical show in the autumn term - this is good, I think, as it does keep parents involved. I imagine the three line whip will drop for Y8 but I liked the having to be involved bit. Mainly because my son would have slipped out of anything if he could but actually enjoyed it once coerced.

Sorry not to remember in more detail! But they are good at keeping contat, and the website is informative and the head of Y7 sends you a weekly e-mail so you don't get the sense that your child is just stranded there and living a life you'll never know anything about. My Pate's child is pretty unreliable on the communication front so I'm pleased about this. My Tommy's son tells me everything which is just as well as the communication betw home and Tommy's is nothing like as good as at Pate's.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Thanks Milla. I got my letter just now and have considered going along to the next morning as ds1 had asked if he could go back.
I was worying about mfl last night so it is good to know that they do catch up sessions. I tried a conversation in both (very basic)french and german which went very badly. He hasn't studied them at all this term and has forgotten the words he knew. :roll: Parents evening soon. Hopefully we can bring him up to speed soon. :D
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Pushkin

Post by Pushkin »

Hi
You will also receive a letter from a current year 7 pupil with their view of Pates, which was a lovely touch. I wouldn't stress about the languages. My ds started French and German from scratch last year and there were many in the same position.
Pushkin
Tessiebear

Post by Tessiebear »

Thanks everyone for the replies especially Milla for your indepth one, knew we could count on you!!! :D

We've not received our letter yet so hope it arrives tomorrow.

Don't think we will go to morning coming up as we have been several times before and guess it is really geared to those who are trying to make up their minds between there and another school.
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

Thank you so much Milla for the info.
We have no letter today either.
I might get DS come with me to the open day as he and I have both been but not together. He finds change a challenge at times so I think making it more familiar will help.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Thanks Pushkin. I will stop worrying about it now. :lol: After nearly a year of 11plus angst it seems strange to have nothing to think about. :roll:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Hi All

Just to add to Milla's comprehensive break down really!
There is an opportunity to buy some second hand uniform items and to discuss what uniform is essential/sizes etc. with other parents. I would highly recommend this if you are on a budget as some of the uniform is pricey (blazers etc. and rugby tops)

A note on blazers, do be careful if you are buying second hand as the girls' blazers button differently than the lads. I found the perfect one for him, at one of the events, only to discover at the last second before purchasing it was a young ladies!! :oops: The skorts, for girls obviously, are also confusing by all accounts and getting the right size can be tricky (these are ordered online and so you have no real idea on size..ask someone with a girl at the school and they will keep you right)

There is also an option to have professionally fitted mouth guards for both boys and girls.

I was told that most of the boys do not wear jumpers and not to bother getting one. However, my DS (very skinny) was freezing in just a blazer and shirt. He loves his jumper, I bought a decent one from The Famous, and it has washed very well (it is so soft I often find him wearing it round the house at the weekend :lol: )

Do take advantage of 'get togethers' organised by the school as they are very useful for getting to know people. I have certainly found it invaluable knowing some of the mums in my DS's class. When homeworks are confusing/lost/forgotten etc. they can help you out (Eh, Milla? :D )

Think that's about it really
Relax and enjoy the ride :P
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Firstly huge apologies...for some reason I cannot log onto this forum?I have managed now but its taken an absolute age.....anyone else?

Anyway we too had our Pates letter yesterday and will be going along next Wednesday-is this for the children too?
Turtleglos-are you and your son going?

Thanks EE and Mila for the lowdown :D and can we PLEASE not mention languages?catching/brushing up or otherwise!!!!DS has only done the VERY basics a *teeny*bit at his school-I do not need something else to stress over :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now