Attn: Etienne

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
buffy

Attn: Etienne

Post by buffy »

I do hope that you are an ex Panel member and not currently serving. With all the information given by people on this website you would easily recognise the circumstances of people coming to an appeal, and as I am sure you know Panel members should not know those appealing.
I find it very disturbing that you are giving opinions on what other panel members are thinking or reasoning when they ask questions
All the information parents need is given to them in booklets and your advice seems to be giving suggestions of what people can say to get their child through the 11+ appeal.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Buffy

I actually find YOUR post disturbing

I do not know Etienne personally, but she comes across as one of the most PROFESSIONAL posters this forum has probably ever had.

She is an ex panel member [ quoted on another forum]

She is not telling appealers what to say , she is offering guidance [ freely ]

I just hope your remarks do not stop this truly Professional lady from continuing with her exceptional advice.

Patricia
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Dear Patricia,

You have expressed very well what I was thinking.

Catherine
chad

Post by chad »

Having followed some of the threads that Etienne has answered I cannot see how anyone could call into doubt the professionalism of this lady. She has advised on how best to present a case and stressed that you should be completely honest about your child. Parents can be nervous when having to face an appeal panel, all that Etienne has done is to give them some comfort in knowing that they have given their child the best chance of a grammar school place. The parents would not be considering an appeal unless they were sure of their child and the child's ability.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I can only re-iterate the above three posts on this forum (Patricia, Catherine & Chad). Etienne has been a marvellous comfort to those under the most extreme distress; I know since I went through an appeal last year and I can tell you I wish there was such a forum then. Whilst I was unsuccessful this thread has opened my mind to see it from both sides of the table. I fully endorse the professional quality advice seen on this forum; Buffy not everyone is blessed with a perfectly healthy child and these children in particular need their rights upheld.
Chins

Post by Chins »

My feeling are the same as others have posted. We didnt get through, but without the input, we wouldnt of been as well prepared.

The info the council provides people appealing is lacking in the extreme and does not help people get ready for what they are about to face.
Buffy

Post by Buffy »

I'm sorry Patricia, I may have missed the ex-member statement. The part I read stated that Etienne spent many years hearing selelction appeals, insinuating that this is no longer so, but not actually stating it.
Etienne is also "told that this year......." and "understands that County are reviewing...." Who is going to be discussing present arrangements with an ex panel member?
Jed

Post by Jed »

Like Buffy, I too was concerned that Etienne might still be sitting on the panel and therefore may recognise some of the cases posted here. I agree that her advice is very useful and completely professional - and never has she advised anyone to present their case using unethical or deceitful evidence.

My worry was only that she may suddenly find herself in front of one of the parents posting here and realise she recognises the applicant's case.

Etienne - are you definitely an ex-member? If not, how would you handle the above situation?

Jed
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Buffy, I’m happy to confirm my status as an ex-panel member. I thought this was made clear elsewhere. I have my contacts and sources of information (which I have no intention of revealing), so I hope I’m still reasonably up to date.

Jed, if as a serving member I had known anything about an appellant, I would have had to withdraw before the hearing and someone would have been found to take my place on the panel.

Buffy’s second complaint concerns the advice given. I have certainly tried to help parents see their case from a different perspective and to be as realistic as possible. If that is a crime, I plead guilty!

At the same time I have made my position clear on more than one occasion, e.g. “What follows are just my own views …..”, “Feel free to ignore what follows – just my own thoughts ….”, “Only the panel that reads all the evidence and hears all the case is in a position to make any sort of judgement”.
Panel members are very independent-minded people. Others might well think differently from me, as I pointed out in my very first post.

I’ve posted quite a lot of advice, but don’t lose sight of the key point:
“My main point has always been that what really matters is the evidence and the strength of the case, rather than appearance or presentation.”

I hope forum members generally have found the advice balanced and sensible, and am grateful for the kind messages of support.
Etienne
Philidel

Post by Philidel »

I would like to reiterate what others have said and thank Etienne for her professional & measured advice here. Of course I'm sorely disappointed not to have succeeded in my daughter's appeal, but our chances would have been much slimmer if I hadn't gathered as much information as I did here.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now