Kings College or Sutton Grammar

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zumba

Kings College or Sutton Grammar

Post by zumba »

Hi
My DS has been offered a place from Sutton Grammar which is local, 10mins, and also a place from Kings college of wimbledon which is 30-40 mins bus ride.
It is time to decide whether its worth paying for Kings or just go for SG. He is quite academic so he will do well at both schools but would like to know views on what additional benefits are provided by attending Kings i.e. better chance of getting into a good uni, more "social" skills teaching, IB (kings) vs A levels (sutton) etc.
doingmybest

Re: Kings College or Sutton Grammar

Post by doingmybest »

Kings will be very hard work. They hot house state school 11+ applicants to get them up to common entrance standard (although internal candidates no longer sit common exams) by year 8. Only a small minority of King's pupils have ever been in state schools, it does appeal to, for want of a better word, "snottier" parents. DS's headmaster also warns parents that everyone at Kings is very clever, there is a far wider ability range at other selective indys, e.g. Hampton and KGS, and Kings may not suit boys who need to feel good about themselves.
I have friends who moved boys there at year 7 who have struggled, never really settled and were glad to be moved to the local GS for 6th form. There is not a huge intake at 11, there is a further 60 intake at year 9, so he may just start to settle as everything changes again.
However, Kings is a fantastic school. Their most popular Uni destination last year was Oxford, 2nd was Cambridge! As a former city recruiter it is a very impressive school to have on your CV, I know it shouldn't but it does open doors. We have a place for DS at year 9 and will probably take it in preference to St Pauls (waiting for Westminster).
But Sutton is also a very good school, everyone will be starting fresh in year 7 and your DS will make lots of local friends. Everyone will also be starting on a level playing field and you won't be playing catch up.
Our DC have always been in the independent sector, but I have looked at the state sector for comparison and out of interest and Sutton would be my number one choice.
mum22

Post by mum22 »

Really nice to hear your dilemma, as we are going through the same. My DS has got a place in Wilson's ( which was our first choice ) and yet talking to other parents in his class we are unable to take a decision- you see my son at the moment attends a indie school and many parents think that if we move to GS instead of a secondary Independent, he will lose the continuity and he will feel not challanged enough...

Also the GS curriculum is not upto the level as Independent school. Somebody with a previous experience would really help us out of this problem..it will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :?:
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I think that part of the problem with answering your dilemma is that all of us who have made this decision will have justified it in their mind and feel that it is the best decision.

We chose Sutton Grammar over KCS and are happy with our decision whereas we also know people who did the reverse and are also happy with their decision. Both schools have examples of boys who have squandered the opportunity they provide and a bright motivated boys will do well in both schools.

I genuinely don't believe there is a right or wrong answer here educationally, however one does cost seriously more than the other :D