Standardised scores? Raw Scores too........

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I rang Admissions today and asked what difference a September birthday would make (compared to an august one), and was told a maximum of 2 extra marks! This seems very low - does anyone know any more than this?

I was given a raw score out of 190, I can't work out how they break it down, or get to 465 from this... Why not just score the results from 190?

Confused.com :?
Analysis

Post by Analysis »

To me, 2 marks per month is a lot.
So 11 months apart = 22 marks.
If this is 22 marks out of 465 that is huge.

Scrape in at 303, and another child is uplifted to 325= 4.73% uplift.
That is huge in my book.
MoJo

Re: Standardised scores? Raw Scores too........

Post by MoJo »

Hi sorry, I should have it more clear - 2 marks total, overall, not 2 per month....
Thanks x
Analysis

Post by Analysis »

Okay you mean Sep - Aug (11 months) and not Aug-Sep (1 month).
I read it as Aug-Sep.

If Sep - Aug then 2 marks is platry = 0.28%

Did you confirm whether 2 marks was for 11 months difference or 1 month difference?

This is another useful statistic.
May be there should be a thread for all data and statistics.
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

My child has a September birthday, and I asked how many more points they would have had/ or what the difference in the score overall would have been if they had a late August birthday. I was trying to assess the negative impact on the score that being an older child had, and if to appeal....

I was told not much difference, only two more marks would have been given to the overall score for being a young August child. It was definatly the Result total score, and not the raw score I was given.....

ie instead of gaining 350, you would have got 352 for being an August child
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

There is a good thread somewhere on here if you do a Search (maybe its in the B'ham section) about how they work out standardised scores.
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Thank you, i have read the standardised forums you mention, but they seem to hold different info to what admissions told me, about the small margin of marks.

Did anyone have any further clues about the converstion of marks - raw to standardised - 190 to 465?
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... -table.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This helps! Although I dont know if they followed this in our test!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

MoJo wrote:Thank you, i have read the standardised forums you mention, but they seem to hold different info to what admissions told me, about the small margin of marks.

Did anyone have any further clues about the converstion of marks - raw to standardised - 190 to 465?
Most areas base standardised score on the specific children sitting a specific test. So a different set of children sitting an identical test could result in different standardised scores.

If the margin between September and August is very small then it would seem to indicate that there was little difference in the performance of the oldest and youngest children.
KenR

Post by KenR »

When the LEA quote raw scores they are normally referring to the number of raw marks required to achieve the same standardised score for that section.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =11&t=7148

Take a look at the sticky I prepared for the B/Ham pass marks for the B/Ham KE and Sutton exams also set by the Univ of Durham CEM. You will probably find in the case of Warwickshire that they categorised the questions into 4 question types rather than 3 to give an average standardised score of 400 and a max of circa 560 (4 x 140)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now