Voluntary Aided schools

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2Girlsmum

Voluntary Aided schools

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Yesterday I contacted Latymer (in Enfield) asking if it was possible to learn if my daughter would have secured a place had she made it her 1st choice (she would have), and about the possibility of adding her to their waiting list as we were undecided about which of our top 2 choices we now wanted. They replied:
Latymer is a voluntary aided school so the governing body is the admissions authority (we set our own admissions criteria). Even so, we cannot override a decision made by our local authority (in your case being offered your first preference). If you wish to pursue this further you will need to speak to admissions at Haringey and see if they can offer any further assistance
This goes against Enfield's guidelines
30. Waiting lists for Enfield schools will operate in the following way. Applicants who received an offer of a higher preference school and wish to be reconsidered for a lower preference school may apply for the child’s name to be added to the waiting list. Children who completed an on time application but did not name the school as one of their original preference(s) may apply for their child to be added to the waiting list.
We are 99% sure that our 1st choice is the best for dd, but several people have pm'd me about this, and I wondered what the procedure would be if we wanted Latymer, as appeals would not be heard until the major movement on the waiting list has taken place?
hermanmunster

Re: Voluntary Aided schools

Post by hermanmunster »

Aren't Latymer saying that Enfield manage the waiting lists? Have you spoken to Enfield to see if she can be added?
mitasol

Re: Voluntary Aided schools

Post by mitasol »

I agree - you are being informed, that you need to go through the LEA. Good Luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now