Tutoring in for Warks test.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

serendippyty

Tutoring in for Warks test.

Post by serendippyty »

Analysis wrote:
In my area private tuition is the norm. I paid £30 an hour for my son, 1 lesson a week, and his friends has 2 lesseons a week. This of course is unfair to those who do not have a tutor, but parents will do what they can for their child. £30 x 40 weeks is cheaper than private school fees for 7 years! This was my analysis and I felt "I had to keep up with the Jones", as many mothers did, because the 11+ is a competition, and there are no rules to the competition.
I think private tuition is very normal here in Warks too though - we had many, many people say our son would not get in if we did not tutor and we were putting him at disadvatage by not tutoring. There needs to eb a consistant grammar selection process nationwide, some areas passing the 11+ does not guarentee a grammar school place, others it does, some areas need higher scores etc.
Analysis

Re: Which is the best Grammar school in the area?

Post by Analysis »

serendippyty wrote:I think private tuition is very normal here in Warks too though - we had many, many people say our son would not get in if we did not tutor and we were putting him at disadvatage by not tutoring. There needs to eb a consistant grammar selection process nationwide, some areas passing the 11+ does not guarentee a grammar school place, others it does, some areas need higher scores etc.
My brother self-tutored his son in Warks but openly admits it is still tutoring.
Out of interest, if you don't mind me asking, what is usual tuition costs in Warks and how often/how many hours?
(In my region it is £30/hour for VR and the norm is 1-2 lessons a week for around 1 year. This is not Warks).
serendippyty

Re: Which is the best Grammar school in the area?

Post by serendippyty »

I have no idea - we didn't use a tutor in the end because we felt 1) that the right child will get in without tutoring and 2) we didn't want to spend money on a tutor. Most of my son's friends were tutored though and they started in year 4 or 5. I can only say I know my close friend pays £25 for her son's tutoring sessions but I don't know if that is indicative of all tutors rates in the area.
DarkEnergy

Re: Tutoring in for Warks test.

Post by DarkEnergy »

Should you tutor?

I would say yes. Having just been through the 11 plus system and noting the results. My DD did well and had lots of home tuition with her hard working dad. Most others seemed to have paid tutors. Of those who passed, I would estimate from DD feedback that 80 - 90% had tuition. A small number of very bright kids had a few papers to do from the internet and passed because of sheer basic talent. However, these bright kids despite passing got significantly lower scores than those who were tutored. So somewhere out there, are some very bright kids who have probably just missed out because they did not have tutoring. Then there are the hugely talented kids who got massive marks, but they are few in number and need very little tuition.

It is a competitive world and those that put the greatest effort in, tend to get the reward.

On cost of tutoring, Rugby seems to be around the £25 mark, with some higher and some lower. I would add that £40 for an excellent tutor would be worth more than £20 for a rubbish one.
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Sorry to be controversial but my daughter scored extremely well last year. I do know where she was placed, it was very high. She was not tutored.
legaraal

Post by legaraal »

Ditto my own daughter, scored 4th out of 1179 in South Warks this year, not tutored privately, but I would hesitate to say not tutored at all because I (purported to) tutor her myself. (Mum). I have to confess that most of our mother daughter tutoring "sessions" consisted of her sighing at my ineptitude at maths and asking me politely to leave her alone while she did stuff by herself. I have to say though that you would be daft not to tutor them at all (whether privately or "at home"). E.g. 11 plus this year contained, apparently, quite a lot of algebra in maths parts. Her state primary had not done any algebra at all with her class, by the time of 11 plus. If I hadn't taught her algebra myself in September, she'd have had no idea how to do it.
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

DarkEnergy wrote:Should you tutor?

I would say yes. Having just been through the 11 plus system and noting the results. My DD did well and had lots of home tuition with her hard working dad. Most others seemed to have paid tutors. Of those who passed, I would estimate from DD feedback that 80 - 90% had tuition. A small number of very bright kids had a few papers to do from the internet and passed because of sheer basic talent. However, these bright kids despite passing got significantly lower scores than those who were tutored. So somewhere out there, are some very bright kids who have probably just missed out because they did not have tutoring. Then there are the hugely talented kids who got massive marks, but they are few in number and need very little tuition.

It is a competitive world and those that put the greatest effort in, tend to get the reward.

On cost of tutoring, Rugby seems to be around the £25 mark, with some higher and some lower. I would add that £40 for an excellent tutor would be worth more than £20 for a rubbish one.

Like I said, there are always the hugely talented. Congratulations.
ernestcyril

Post by ernestcyril »

Ok..we had no tutoring either and scored highly. However we did check out the LEA website to look at format of questions and talk about general exam technique in the week before..daft not to! It seems that if you have an academically able child and a motivated parent you have a winning combination, tutor or not! My DD already puts in lots of effort at school, so home is for other things. (and no, I'm not suggesting that those who tutor keep their children locked in a cupboard studying under a single light bulb..though it didn't do Harry Potter any harm!). I think that there is sometimes a little danger that too much pressure is put on children. If they are enjoying the learning and there are a few things to brush up on, fabulous, go for it, if they are twitching maybe not? If intensive tutoring is needed, definately not!
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Tutoring has many meanings...
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

I would suggest that if you are posting on this forum, then you are almost certainly tutoring - DIY, as this site supports DIYers fantastically.

Given that I have been involved in my DDs education since she was in reception, I suppose I have been tutoring DD for 6 years, maybe not all 11 plus tutoring, but tutoring nonetheless.