Bucks 12 - Plus Appealing

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hellothere1

Bucks 12 - Plus Appealing

Post by hellothere1 »

Hello There,

I gave my 11+ verbal reasoning test last year, and as I had only one month to revise I scored only 104. My parents also appealed, but the appeal was un successful.

Now again this February, I gave my 12+, in which I scored 117. I am thinking to appeal. Can anybody please give me some advice on this?

I will be showong:

- a medical certificate from the GP
- a letter from my school explaining my academic levels, behaviour etc.
- I am also thinking of taking my school work
- My poems, which I write now and then
- A chapter on the novel I am working on
- A letter from my primary head teacher explaing my academic performance and my SATs results

Aswell as my parents will be explaining:
- That the school I was to go to (grammar), once I pass ofcourse, is right opposite to my house
- That my sibling goes to the grammar school right next to the one I want to go for

Can someone give me some more advice?? And what we should say the situation was?

Many Thanks.
Etienne

Re: Bucks 12 - Plus Appealing

Post by Etienne »

Hello, hellothere!
- a medical certificate from the GP
- a letter from my school explaining my academic levels, behaviour etc.
- I am also thinking of taking my school work
- My poems, which I write now and then
- A chapter on the novel I am working on
- A letter from my primary head teacher explaing my academic performance and my SATs results
These should be fine in so far as the content really helps your appeal. Behaviour, for example, is unlikely to be a relevant consideration. The only issues for a Bucks selection, or late selection, appeal are likely to be extenuating circumstances and evidence of high ability. This is why the following will not count:
Aswell as my parents will be explaining:
- That the school I was to go to (grammar), once I pass ofcourse, is right opposite to my house
- That my sibling goes to the grammar school right next to the one I want to go for
These points would, however, be valid if you are successful at your late selection appeal, and then need to appeal for a place at your preferred grammar school.
And what we should say the situation was?
Not sure what lies behind this question.

Do have a look at the Q&As if you haven't already done so.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... lification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
hellothere1

Post by hellothere1 »

Thankyou for your reply,

What I meant by that question was that I have failed from only 4 marks, so what would be the best thing to say to them?

Also, with all the evidences that I have thought of providing, do you think my appeal has chances of being successful? And they re not going to involve my 11 plus results in this, right?
drummer

Post by drummer »

If you think that the 12+ result is not an accurate reflection of your academic abilities then you need to provide the evidence for this, such as some of the documents you have mentioned. You must be able to back up any claims that you make.

If something happened to you that might have affected your performance on the day of the test then you need to provide evidence of this also.

The particular school you want is not relevant at all because the appeal is regarding your suitability for any grammar school.

What academic evidence have you got? And were there any mitigating circumstances?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

What I meant by that question was that I have failed from only 4 marks, so what would be the best thing to say to them?
Say that you fully accept the system, but politely request the panel to consider the alternative evidence you're presenting them with. (That, after all, is the purpose of the appeal.)

This leads us back to where I wrote "in so far as the content really helps your appeal". We don't actually know what the items listed above say. For example, you mention a "letter from my school explaining my academic levels" - but we don't know what those levels are. You mention "a medical certificate from the GP" - but we don't know how it fits with a possible case for extenuating circumstances. You mention that "I am also thinking of taking my school work" - but we don't know if they're full of very high marks and/or excellent comments. This makes it difficult to assess your chances of success.

If you want to give us any more details in private, there's a link at the top of the page for confidential information.

The Q&As, to which I referred you, explain the sort of academic evidence you need. They were aimed at 11+, so clearly at 12+ it would help to be working as far above 5c standard as possible (5c being the minimum expected by the end of year 6 for grammar school).
B11. As many of the following academic indicators as possible:

* a. Respectable 11+ test scores (i.e. as close to the pass mark as possible).
* b. Very strong support from the head teacher. – It helps to have a head teacher who is both supportive and credible (i.e. whose support is not exaggerated and clearly over-optimistic); who does not write exactly the same thing for every single appeal; and who does not introduce irrelevancies (“super monitor,” “very good games player”) but keeps the focus on academic ability/extenuating circumstances. His/her words will probably be scrutinised to see whether there is some sort of reference to “very high academic ability”, and any indication of something exceptional about the case.
* c. Encouraging SATs predictions, e.g. level 5s for English & maths, or – even better – 5a’s. (Schools are under no obligation to provide sub-levels, but some will.)
* d. High standardised reasoning test scores from school (the higher the better, e.g. 90th+ percentile). – Unfortunately some schools do not do CATs or alternative reasoning tests.
* e. Good routine academic work, in the child’s own handwriting, that has not been specially selected (e.g. routine exercise books for Maths, English and Science), full of complimentary remarks by the teacher about achievement.
* f. Previous school reports (especially if there is reference to high achievement).
* g. An educational psychologist’s report (this may or may not help – See B3 . Might be useful if the other academic evidence is limited, or where there is no alternative evidence of reasoning ability).
* h. A reading age 2 years above average
Etienne
hellothere1

Post by hellothere1 »

We have the proof:
*That we were moving home, and therefore my daughter might have been disturbed and not have been ready for the testing
* Her SATs results
- 5A (92/100) - English
- 5B (90/100) - Maths

* A letter from the G.P proving that my daughter was not feeling well during the days around the testing.

*Her Secondary School levels, which are very good.
E.g,
Maths - 6c

Thankyou for your replies,
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now