Questions about CCHS Chelmsford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chelmsford mum

Questions about CCHS Chelmsford

Post by Chelmsford mum »

There are quite a few of us who have girls there and please feel free to ask anything about the school.There are lots of urban myths e.g terrible hothouse, anorexic stressed girls etc.We are happy to dispel myths and inform based on experience.We between us have a good cross section of year groups represented.
Ask away ... :D
I am sure there are others that can do the same for other schools.
manicmummy

Re: Questions about CCHS Chelmsford

Post by manicmummy »

Hi Chelmsford mum .....my DD will be starting in yr 7 at CCHS ....Now that all the Euphoria has died down she is a little nervous about it being that she will know no one else whilst many of her peers are all going their local school together. I received my information yesterday and was please to see a number of activities over the coming months for the new girls to take part in and to familiarise themselves with the school.Do they operate a buddy system and in your opinion how did you find your DDS settling in. I just want her to be happy and enjoy her opportunity.
2 to go

Post by 2 to go »

DD1 is in Year 7 at CCHS and absolutely loves it. 4 children from her school got into there and were all put into separate classes. They have all made new friends from other schools within their classes. DD attended the after school hockey and netball sessions in June which helped to familiarise her with the school and meet some of the other girls. She also received a long letter from a girl in Year 7 who then showed her round on the induction day. By the time she started in September she knew several girls and was familiar with the layout of the school.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hello Manic mummy - well done to your daughter.

I have two girls there.Neither of them had a child from their school get in that year so they were "on their own". However this is not uncommon.I remember when the elder one went in, a teacher told me they had 78 feeder schools that year so she will be in the same boat as many others.The school does a number of things to ease the transistion :-
1) Penpals - in a few weeks your daughter will receive a letter from a child in year 7 who will act as her "buddy" She will be invited to tea at school with her and for a look around the school.They even get to pick their sandwich, cookie etc ahead of time.On her first day at the school the penpal will take her to the canteen and check up on her from time to time.
2) P.E days - there will be a programme of netball and hockey after school sessions for new girls.They will start in May.I strongly recommend sending your daughter , even if she isn't sporty, so that she gets to recognise some more faces.
3) Induction afternoon - this usually follows the tea and they do an afternoon of lessons (fun low key) and get to meet their form group and form teacher.
4) Teacher visit - a member of staff will come and visit your child in their own primary school and chat with them.

With all of this effort from the school - both of mine felt they belonged even before they got there in September.Because the girls come from so far and wide, the school really goes the extra mile to settle them in.
Another idea nearer the time is to start a thread on this forum suggesting a meet up/picnic for new starters.This has worked in the past. My daughter met someone through this forum and although they didn't end up in the same class, it meant they knew an another friendly face.
It really is a strongly pastoral school and the girls settle in remarkably quickly.
manicmummy

Post by manicmummy »

Chelmsford mum and 2 to go
thank you so much .. i will share all this info with my daughter ....we have discussed the sports evenings and she is keen to go especially the netball ...the buddy system sounds fab and the fact that a member of staff would visit her little school will impress her greatly ...we will be travelling from gidea park area ...a way to go but your comments and advice have been invaluable ...she is my first to senior school.sometimes get so tied up in the result you forget about their little concerns about ' big school' ..... thanks again :D
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

There are a number from Havering in my younger DD's class.Definitely worth, nearer the time ,starting a thread to try and find some other year 7 travel companions. Good luck.
manicmummy

Post by manicmummy »

i will definately do that nearer the time . thank you all so much ...cant stop smiling :D
moved

Post by moved »

DD was in a state of shock when she passed for CCHS, having convinced herself that she would not get in. When the results finally came she was not very pleased as she was worried that she would not measure up. We spent some time on the forum together asking the old hands no end of questions. With all of the responses she was hugely reassured. Now half way through year 8 she wouldn't change schools for all the world.

Her biggest worry was that they would be put into sets and that she would be in bottom set for everything. In case this is anyone else's worry be reassured there are no sets at CCHS. The curriculum moves at a fast pace, but they don't drown they keep up well.
manicmummy

Post by manicmummy »

Hi there, one of many questions on my part over the next few weeks/months ......are the girls still placed in form alphabetically (30) but split for sciences into 5 x (24) ....I ask about the alphabet as DD wondered if on the hockey/netball days she will be able to identify a fellow formy from the name badges :)
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

When my first went in, a few years ago, it was alphabetically arranged.Now the girls are mixed up more:
first A- name one class, second A name next class etc etc. This happened I think a couple of years ago when my younger one went in and they have stuck with it.However just by brief chats she will find someone in her form.My younger daughter was quite shy (then :roll: ) and mananged to.They will know their form from their penpal letter.The science groups are a mix, nothing set on ability, and it is a good way for them to know other girls.
Their form is their house too and they are just about to change the names from boring letters "S house" to something more intersting - as yet undecided.The house system works really well - house decorated classroom, house show, house pancakes, tug of war, debating etc (I could go on) These are just some of the events the girls get to take part in that are great fun and time off timetable.In fact they have a lot of time off timetable.They have a lot of fun and yet still get a lot done. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now