Questiona about CRGS if anyone not sure

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KB

Questiona about CRGS if anyone not sure

Post by KB »

Have had 3 DCs through the school over an extended period.
Happy to answer any questions - but especially if there is anyone who has been offered a place and isn't sure about accepting ot not or has children who are worried about going there.
chanceinnorfolk

Re: Questiona about CRGS if anyone not sure

Post by chanceinnorfolk »

Hello Kb

My son has secured a place at CRGS, and i'm sure this post will be very useful in the near future. He has not expressed any concerns yet, only a slight worry as to the quality of food on offer!!!........like father like son.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

My DS is at CRGS and he really likes the food. They have a canteen with a good varied menu at very reasonable prices. I have had no complaints from my DS about the quality of the food and the servings are very generous.

When holding various functions for parents, the school provide excellent food and drink and make you feel very welcome. It is a lovely school to be part of. :D
KB

Post by KB »

Think it can be a bit of a scrum at lunch time but they do have 6th form prefects keeping things under control & for the first week the year 7s get to go in early while they get used to the system.

They can buy snacks at break as well if they get really hungry - or take pack-up for break and then buy hot lunch :)

There are quite alot of lunch-time activities so some boys buy a snack at break & then have a packed lunch to save time - so lots of options!

DC currently there isn't that impressed with portion sizes but he has grown nearly a foot in the last year or so & has rather a large appetite :)
sohappymum

Post by sohappymum »

Hi

My DS says food is great with lots of choice.He really loves the school. As he was a late entry one of the boys said to bring £3 for lunch which seems to be enough!

By the way thanks again for your help KB when we got the late place! I cant believe I had a wobble !

Sohappymum
choudsal

Post by choudsal »

Hi KB

My DS and his dad went to visit CRGS before making final decision- My preference has always been CRGS but put off by the distance- both really liked it and had a lot of good things to say about the headteacher. When my DS was offered CRGS my husband was a bit put off, but my son did his H/W and looked it up ie the history and the league tables for the last five years, read the prospectus and wanted one more visit with his dad and now they are both very happy! I've heard alot about the school and it's high success rate, i'm very happy he has got in.

Just wanted to ask do they allow children to take in Mobile phones- i only ask because i wanted to give my DS one for emergency.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

choudsal wrote:Just wanted to ask do they allow children to take in Mobile phones- i only ask because i wanted to give my DS one for emergency.
The school do allow mobile phones but they can only be used during break and lunch times. I think this is a good compromise for everybody. The office staff are very helpful if you need to leave a message and they will try and find your son as quickly as they can. I have had to leave a couple of messages for my son and they were most helpful.
XCRGSMUM

Post by XCRGSMUM »

Its fine to have a mobile phone, the school understands that many children travel long distances and that both parent and child are reassured by the availability of a mobile phone. However if they are caught using a mobile phone during lesson time the phone will be confiscated and a parent has to go in to collect it!
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

XCRGSMUM wrote:However if they are caught using a mobile phone during lesson time the phone will be confiscated and a parent has to go in to collect it!
We have had this 'delight' twice of having to collect my daughter's confiscated phone from her school. It was her own fault but a twenty six mile round trip twice just to get a phone did not make her very popular in our house!
KB

Post by KB »

On behalf of the office staff :) - do try to keep phone messages to emergencies only!

Mine have all kept their phones off during the school day & only turn them on if they need to contact me.
I did encourage the boys to turn on their phones at lunch to check for messages but they aren't the best at remembering.

I did have to phone the school office once when I needed to get in touch with DS1 very urgently during the school day. The office lady assumed he would have his phone on!

A further word of warning - if their phones 'go off' during lessons they can also be confiscated (its not just if they are 'using' them).