How much movement is there likely to be after allocation day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hopefulandstressed

How much movement is there likely to be after allocation day

Post by hopefulandstressed »

Does anyone have any idea how much movement there is likely to be now allocation letters have been received? Am on SHS waiting list but don't want to get hopes up again.
hermanmunster

Re: How much movement is there likely to be after allocation

Post by hermanmunster »

not sure in gloucestershire specifically but around the country the amount of movement varies - mainly related to the mobility of the population and the number of people holding independent school places.

There used to be more movement several years back when people could end up with more than one offer (from other LEAs) but since the coordinated scheme was introduced ensuring that people only get one offer the amount has reduced.

Last year there was ultimately very little shift on some waiting lists.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

There will be some movement, and you can also start thinking about appeals (which are unconnected with the waiting list).

You'd need grounds for appeal, f'rinstance, was your daughter in the classroom where one child broke down badly (disturbed everyone else) mid test, and had to be removed? She passed, so I'm told!

You would have a fair chance of winning an appeal anyway - at least 1 in 3, as at least she passed the exam (non-qualifiers have to also prove that they are bright enough for a grammar).

Your daughter would also have passed, and thus had a place if you ticked the option, for Ribston. It may not be a sensible option for travel, depending where you live, but you could still contact them to see if a place was available. If you had to appeal for them, then I'd say your chance of winning that appeal would be 99.9% - more or less a formality.

There won't be any movement on the waiting list for a few weeks - until the 'acceptance' letters have gone back to Shire Hall. I would urge you to accept the place you've been offered, as well as filling in part 2 of the form asking for reconsideration for SHS. Otherwise you could end up with no school to go to come September!

Have you thought of 'phoning the Stroud High Admissions Clerk? They might be able to give you at least some indication of where your daughter is on the list.

Good luck
Capers
toffeeapple

Post by toffeeapple »

Hi Hopefulandstressed

Having read a post that you placed in a previous thread it appears that you have spoken to SHS and you are 2nd place on the waiting list?

I am new to all this and def not an expert (Capers will prob be able to advise further) but i would imagine that you stand a pretty good chance in this position.

I know that last year two girls from our primary school turned down their places at shs as they acheived scholarships at indies.

Two places is not that far to go, keeping my fingers crossed for you but I am sure you will receive good news in April! :)

Keep us posted as to how you get on!
hopefulandstressed

Thanks for your encouraging replies, will be keeping fingers tightly crossed until April. If anyone hears of SHS places that are going to be turned down I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thanks
hopefulandstressed

Another thought ....

If people are going to give up places to take up one at an independent school will they know now that they have a place/scholarship (at indie school) and, therefore, be likely to advise GCC now that they don't want the SHS place? Or are they likely to find out at a later date and, therefore, keep their SHS place until a later date?
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Hi. I can only go by what I have read on this site,but I would say that you are in a very good position. Last year some people were waiting to hear about scholarships up until very late so didn't give up places until very late. Also other people may win appeals to other schools, thus freeing up the place that you need.
My plan if I had been in your position (something we thought quite likely) was to go onto the wait list, appeal and keep my fingers well and truly crossed until the end of July.
It depends on how your dd is really.
I was also talking up all of the reasons ds1 would love the school that he had been allocated.
Good luck. x
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
hopefulandstressed

Thanks x I havn't told DD how close she is on waiting list as don't want to get her hopes up and then the fall will be even worse if we're unsuccessful. She's dealing with it really well but the uncertainty is very hard. Fortunately she's better at the waiting game than me! I guess if people are moving out of county they're more likely to advise now?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

hopefulandstressed wrote:Thanks x I havn't told DD how close she is on waiting list as don't want to get her hopes up and then the fall will be even worse if we're unsuccessful. She's dealing with it really well but the uncertainty is very hard. Fortunately she's better at the waiting game than me! I guess if people are moving out of county they're more likely to advise now?
There is also a line that some parents take not to mention that they're appealing. We sometimes ask (as a bit of a 'filler' question - ie the answer given doesn't affect the outcome of the appeal) if the child knows the parents are appealing, or if they know that the appeal is 'today'. I'd say 1/3rd say "yes, in fact the child asked us to appeal". 1/3rd "yes" and 1/3rd "no - we didn't want to get their hopes up / stress them".

If we'd have had to appeal, DD2 would have known, as she knows the system rather well having talked about it to me; for example, she'd been getting annoyed with friends at school after results day for talking about the 'Waiting List', when they actually meant the ranking list! Bit of a pedant is DD2 :D

Of course, a very few parents exercise their right to bring the child to the appeal. I think it can work against the parents, as we might sunconciously hold back with some searching questions (I remember one where the child was rather embarrased when details about bed wetting were raised). Some parents include a portfolio of 'photos instead. Personally, I don't care what the child looks like, what the pet dog looks like, what the garden swing looks like!
Capers
Gypsypony

Post by Gypsypony »

Just to add, that there's been movement within Yr7 quite recently! One girl left and was replaced by another on the waiting list in my DD's form, another form has had the same happen. I think it's definitely worth going to appeal, but I think your DD stands a good chance of just moving up the list in 2 weeks :D