Appealing for twins.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stressed!

Appealing for twins.

Post by stressed! »

Help!

I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice on my current predicament.

Both of my twin boys sat the Tiffins exams in January and lo and behold ..one has been offered a place at Tiffins and the other one hasn't.

I am seriously considering appealing as my husband and I are extremely reluctant to separate the two. They are extremely close and devastated about the prospect of being split up.

Is it worth appealing? Will they look at the issue of not wanting to separate siblings? We also live in Kingston, about 10 mins from the school, so to have them both attend the same school would make life a lot easier as well.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
mumoffour

Re: Appealing for twins.

Post by mumoffour »

As a fellow twin mum (mine not yet at this stage though but dreading it already) my heart goes out to you. That is a very difficult outcome. How close were the scores? Is there any chance of the second one getting in from the waiting list?

I don't think an appeal would cut any ice as Tiffin has no sibling policy at all, and I have heard of another set of twins in the past in this position (one went, one didn't).

If the second one doesn't get in then you need to think very carefully. Is it fair to withdraw the one who got in to keep them together? Do they both want to stay together or is one less bothered? If you did give up the Tiffin place, would he get into the same school as his twin as a sibling or be left with a school no-one wanted?

For what it's worth, if it were my two, the issue would be one getting something the other couldn't have - they have always been very tricky in this respect. They don't like to feel they are missing out.

Best wishes in your decision.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

You will need to read your LEA policy on twins-often the policy is to agree to offer them the first school they would both qualify for if you want to keep them together-so I suspect you would readily get the LEA to agree to place them at the school the non-qualifier for Tiffin got.

However if he is close to the cut off you could use it as part of your case for appeal
stressed!

Post by stressed! »

Thanks for your reply mumoffour. As a mum of twins, you understand exactly what I'm going through. After a lot of thought and research, I dont hold out much hope for an appeal being successful , so I may well just send them both to another school in the area.

I will take your advice surreymum and contact the LEA next week to discuss my options.

Thank you both! :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now