St Olave's results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

layla22

St Olave's results

Post by layla22 »

Any NEW St Olavian's out there? Well how did you do? . What was the cut off mark? How does it feel to be one of the chosen few?
Let us know your good news.
Lalaloon

Re: St Olave's results

Post by Lalaloon »

We were fortunate enough to get offered a place.
Apparently the results are not available but your ranking is available if you can ever get hold of the admissions manager. They must be really busy without parents wanting to know where their DS was placed.
Brenda Jean

Post by Brenda Jean »

Some people calling and wanting to find out their ranking might not have a place and understandably want to know their chances.
BP

Post by BP »

My son was offered a place too but we don't know the actual score. I called the school (couldn't resist curiosity) but they said they didn't give such information. Probably someone whose son is on the waiting list will know?
Kj21

Post by Kj21 »

Really proud of my son and told him.... Now aim for the moon and if you miss it you will still be among the stars.To all parents who are preparing the exams I would just advice that it requires only regular work.my son wasn't tutored for it and he did it!!!!!
Brenda Jean

Post by Brenda Jean »

Apparentely they don't give scores out even if you are on the waiting list - but they did last year???
doodles

Post by doodles »

Last year I contacted St O's out of curiosity and they gave me DS's score for each paper and his ranking but it was probably a week or more after the results that I contacted them as we were lucky enough to get his first choice allocated.

I know that this is very little help for those waiting but I would think that they are very very busy at the moment. I found them to be really helpful last year - maybe next week they will be a little less frantic?
paradoxical

Post by paradoxical »

Firstly, many congratulations to all those who have gained a place a St Olaves; it's a very competitive exam and hence a great achievement to have gained a place. Well done! Secondly, I can also confirm that last year details of exam scores in both components of the exam were provided upon request. However, if rank position is all the school is currently providing then that could still be a relatively accurate guide as to the likelihood of eventually being offered a place - in fact it is the rank position that determines the probability of receiving an offer rather than the score per se. Historical data on offers going back by about 3-4 years would suggest, and I emphaises merely suggest, that any candidate whose rank position is not lower than 150 may stand a reasonably good chance of receiving an offer- eventually. This is not of course to imply that the waiting list will not move lower that 150. Of course things change from year to year and one cannot be certain, but it might nevertheless provide some solace for all those anxious parents out there(?)
Bear in mind of course that many candidates who have been successful at St Olaves may well have been successful at other super selective grammar schools (Wilsons for example) and St Olaves may not be their 1st preference, in addition to the fact that a number of students may end up taking the private route, which will also create movement down the waiting list.

As for the school itself, it's an excellent place with lots of extra-curricular opportunities - sport, drama, chess club, debating societies etc. My son is in year 7 and is thoroughly enjoying his experience.
Brenda Jean

Post by Brenda Jean »

They did tell me that all boys based in rank position up to 150 have been offered a place already on this first round. This is because some may not have put St O's as their first choice. So I assume from that info that the waiting list starts from 150 upwards?
Can I ask if anyone has been told by St O's that they were likely to gain a place after the shuffling has settled - and if so what rank position were they in?
Just trying to work out how likely/unlikely it would be that we would get a place.
Thanks you

PS - I do know parents that have been told they are very likely to get a place - but dont know them well enough to ask their ranking
paradoxical

Post by paradoxical »

Hi Brenda Jean, one way of working out the likelihood of getting a place is to use data about the average movement that occurs every year after the initial round of offers. Last year the initial offers were made to everyone up to rank position136 (if I remember rightly) with a pass mark of 154. The waiting list went down by about another 15 or so (I am happy to stand corrected if anyone knows otherwise). So if your ds has a rank position that is about 165, then that perhaps might be an indication of the channce of receiving an offer. In some years the waiting list has moved a little further than 165. I suppose it's a waiting game and you'll have a better idea in 2-3 weeks time. Very best of luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now