Transport arrangements

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DadTutor

Transport arrangements

Post by DadTutor »

With a few of us sending our children to Grammar schools for the first time, can you helpful people out there offer your advice, wisdom and experiences to others.

For example: Green Bus to KE Aston from Solihull

What's it like? Alternatives? Costs?

Please feel free for others to ask for help in this thread for themselves too.
no_ball

Re: Transport arrangements

Post by no_ball »

costs are all on the greenbus web site, was just looking. Annual pass around 550 squids and all routes given.
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

no_ball wrote:costs are all on the greenbus web site, was just looking. Annual pass around 550 squids and all routes given.
Hi No_ball,
One of our friends wanted to check if there was a bus from erdington (near sutton coldfield) to KEFW but it seems there isn't on the website. Any idea?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

fingerscrossed

Post by fingerscrossed »

Sorry I started a new thread before I saw this one!

My DS received a Green Bus letter yesterday with route and price info - so assume letter is on the way to everyone.

I only have experience of public transport, but my DS who initially had an ordinary child rate bus pass, now has one to include 'n' routes. I pay by direct debit and it costs another couple of pounds per month to include the 'n' buses, (stands for network I think?) but using this route gets him home at least half an hour earlier than he was able to get home before.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

try the service FW2 on the greenbus website, not too familiar with Birmingham as I am still a londoner, I only moved to Birmingham in 1999. :lol:
DadTutor

Post by DadTutor »

fingerscrossed wrote:Sorry I started a new thread before I saw this one!

My DS received a Green Bus letter yesterday with route and price info - so assume letter is on the way to everyone.

I only have experience of public transport, but my DS who initially had an ordinary child rate bus pass, now has one to include 'n' routes. I pay by direct debit and it costs another couple of pounds per month to include the 'n' buses, (stands for network I think?) but using this route gets him home at least half an hour earlier than he was able to get home before.

I've heard conflicting stories that the Green Bus service is expensive and not reliable at times. So what happens if the bus doesnt turn up and your paying £550p.a.

Would public transport be better alternative or is it wiser/better for kids to use Green bus a couple of years before they are older enough to do the journey themselves?

KES wouldnt recommend Green Bus and stated that West Midlands travel was better option. What happens for after school activities? Down to parents making arrangements or lift sharing?
fingerscrossed

Post by fingerscrossed »

My DCs have been using Public Transport from day 1, and that's after always having me take them to Primary School, never going alone. I did the journey with each of them a couple of times before they started (very boring!!). They now pride themselves on their extensive knowledge of the West Midlands bus network! Occasionally I give them a lift, but with 3 children at 3 different schools it's not often practical, so lifts are saved for the neediest, ie. late home or heavy bag! There are children on the bus from different schools and they seem to mix well (it wasn't like that when I was at school :? )

I guess it depends where they have to get to, and what sort of roads they have to cross. The Green Bus takes them right to the school gates. I have no direct experience of the Green Bus, but I have never heard that it is unreliable, and at a talk at KEA a couple of years ago, the Green Bus rep stated that they work their routes around the needs of the children who use it, modifying the route slightly each year as necessary to ensure a local pick up point for everyone.

Personally I think that if it is possible for children to safely use any bus or the train, it is an enriching experience to travel with friends rather than their parents to and from school. They make friends with children in other years, and it's always handy to have some older friends! Having said that, I did take each of them for the first week or two, simply because I thought they had enough new things to learn without worrying about getting to and from school and I will do the same with DC3.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

DadTutor wrote: I've heard conflicting stories that the Green Bus service is expensive and not reliable at times. So what happens if the bus doesnt turn up and your paying £550p.a.

Would public transport be better alternative or is it wiser/better for kids to use Green bus a couple of years before they are older enough to do the journey themselves?

KES wouldnt recommend Green Bus and stated that West Midlands travel was better option. What happens for after school activities? Down to parents making arrangements or lift sharing?

Now I am getting worried! Is the Green Bus really unreliable? I don't know anyone who uses the Green Bus service and being new to Birmingham (since last year), I'm still not used to Moseley let alone, Rose-Hill / Aston and am relying on the Green Bus to take two of my DC.

I know from KECH correspondence letters that there was once a hiccup with the Green Bus service during the snow but other than that, ds1 says that his friends phone to let the bus driver know if they're being held up...does the GB wait? :?

Can anyone who uses the Green Bus provide any more information about it's reliability etc

Initially, I was relieved when the two of them were heading in that direction as from September, I will be at BC Uni (which is five minutes from KE Aston) on a daily basis. But with three other DC to do their school runs, rush hour and my DH living 100 miles away due to work, I really hope the Green Bus is reliable especially since we're paying a huge amount for it!
Nervousmum

Post by Nervousmum »

I have two children who travel on the Green Bus to KE Five Ways. One child is in his third year of using it, and the other in her first year. It has been reliable. Yes, in the snow it was late and there are other occasions when it has been delayed - but not often. If there is a delay the Green Bus send you a text, so you know and can plan accordingly. I believe that you can also track the bus on-line, although I have never tried doing this. It is expensive, but for many of us there is no public transport that covers the necessary route so it is the only option.