Travel from Bham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ksmatharu

Travel from Bham

Post by ksmatharu »

Just interested in finding out how feasiable it would be for my daugther to make the trip from Birmingham to Stratford Grammar School for Girls.

Looking at the trip it would mean her catching a train from out local train station to the main Stratford railway station followed by a 15-20 minute walk, which is what concerns me the most i.e. the walk. Does anyone know what the journey is like.

Also what are peoples opinions on Startford Grammar?

Much appreciated.
KSMATHARU
no_ball

Re: Travel from Bham

Post by no_ball »

try the journey for yourself and see what it is like. I did for KE Stratford and we live in solihull, I tried over the winter time as that is worse case. Maybe a lift share if people live close to you..
ksmatharu

Post by ksmatharu »

Thanks for the reply.

I was planning on taking a trip to Stratford Upon Avon tomorrow.

But it would be nice to have someone give there experience of their child making the trip daily. In particular the walk from the station to the school i.e. is it safe, how long does it take.
KSMATHARU
um

Post by um »

I was in Stratford Upon Avon over half term and checked out the schools. I would say the girls school is only 10 mins walk from the station. But then I walk quite fast! It was an easy journey but remember the trains only come once an hour - if you miss it you've had it!
legaraal

Post by legaraal »

It's about a 10 min walk, and quite a nice one at that. Recommend you try it out. It looks a long way if you try and look at it on a road map, but the actual walk is partly away from the road network - after exiting the train station, you cross a main road via a pedestrian crossing which has traffic lights on it, then go down a set of steps into the grounds of Stratford College. Then you basically cut through the college grounds and come out at the entrance to an area of parkland (Shottery fields). It's a short walk across the parkland, on a footpath (it's not an isolated area, e.g. there is a children's playground to one side of the path), and then into the gate at the back entrance to S-Up Av girls grammar.

If you go visit on the weekend, obviously you won't be able to use the gate which goes into the back entrance to the school - it will be locked - you will have to skirt round the allotments and horse in a field and approach the school via the main, front entrance.
KenR

Post by KenR »

before making a decision on including Stratford Grammar on your preference list I would check if you are in the priority circle. I believe the circle only extends to Wythall and parts of Solihull

A number of boys do catch the train from Wythall to the school, it's a longish journey but viable
um

Post by um »

KenR is right. The 'priority circle' stops, interestingly enough, at the Shirley/Birmingham and the Wythall/Birmingham border. It also doesn't quite cover some other areas of Solihull but does cover Shirley and Solihull central.
KenR

Post by KenR »

details of the priority circle are below:-

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corp ... le2010.pdf
ksmatharu

Post by ksmatharu »

My daugther and I made the trip to Stratford Grammar School today and we defintley think it one she can make from Birmingham. The walk from the train station to the school takes 10 minutes in all and is fairly safe make.
KSMATHARU
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi ksmatharu
My daugther and I made the trip to Stratford Grammar School today and we defintley think it one she can make from Birmingham. The walk from the train station to the school takes 10 minutes in all and is fairly safe make
Whether your daughter find the travel logistics viable or not, or even if she get top marks in the 11+ exam, it's all irrelevant if you live outside the priority circle catchment as you are unlikely to get an offer. Warwickshire grammar offers are completely different to B/Ham KE and Sutton grammar. B/Ham KE and Sutton grammar make offer purely on exam performance, Warwickshire grammar do not - they have a catchment criteria.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now