Change school after appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

slough mum

Change school after appeal

Post by slough mum »

I am still waiting on my outcome for non-qualification appeal with HGS, if we are successful can I contact another school within the consortium and see if they will let my DC attend that school, or do we have to accept HGS offer?
chad

Re: Change school after appeal

Post by chad »

If you win your appeal then you are automatically offered a place at HGSfor September. That doesn't stop you approaching another school to be put on their waiting list...... In fact, if you prefer another school and it was on the CAF then I would approach the schooland ask for appeal forms for that school. (If it is St Bernards then they deal with their own appeals.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Chad - So St Bernards don't have an independant panel?

If not who makes the decision, the admissions secretary or the headteacher?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Hi slough mum, it's an independent panel and they hear appeals in April, I think from memory. I imagine you need to ask their admissions clerk for details about how to appeal to them directly.
chad

Post by chad »

As LFH says the panel is independant but St Bernards deal with the administration of the own appeals.

You can read the 'appeal guidance' on this link...

http://www.st-bernards.slough.sch.uk/?page_id=349" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the last page there is a telephone number for the 'Appeals secretary'...I would suggest giving her a ring.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Hi Chad

Sorry for delay, apparently as I had already appealled to HGS, I am unable to appeal to St Bernards.

Apparently they are part of the consortium, and only one test, result and appeal is allowed for the consortium.

A bit unfair when I had both on the CAF!!
Looking for help

Slough Mum, I would write to the governing body requesting an appeal. I do not think they have the right to refuse you , I would have thought that you have the right to appeal to any school which you apply to that refuses you entry.
chad

Post by chad »

I agree LFH........ I would definately write and get the response back in writing!!!
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Thanks LFH and Chad,

If I wrote to the governing body of the school, do you think they may make a decision on the paperwork I provide or would they definately ask for an appeal panel to hear the case.

Do you know from this website or does anyone have any experience where they have contacted the governing body after their appeal for non qualification has been unsuccessful?

Thanks
Looking for help

I don't think the governing body can do anything other than allow or refuse an appeal. However were they to refuse, I'd think they would be on a sticky wicket. I think you would then have to take this up with the ombudsman. Good luck.