paper format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bucksmum

paper format

Post by bucksmum »

Hello

My son will be doing his 11+ this year and he attends a primary school in Bucks. Recently the school tested his year group with 11+ practice papers (VR, NVR and Maths) published by NFER. After the tests the parents were informed of the results and we had the opportunity to meet his teacher and discuss the performance. At the meeting we had the opportunity to go through his papers - We were told that even though he was tested on all three areas only VR will be applicable to 11+ in Bucks (Which was my understanding as well).

However, my concern is the VR paper format - I was under the impression that Bucks VR paper would be in a multiple choce format where the children have to mark their answers in an answer sheet. The test paper we were shown was a green colour paper published by NFER and it was in standard format with 75 questions. As the teacher assured me that this would be the format for the exam paper in September I am a bit confused.

Can someone enlighten me on this please!!!!
BUCKSMUM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes the Bucks 11+ is multiple choice - 80 questions in 50 minutes - there is plenty of good advice on here.

Your child will do three practice papers towards the end of Year 5 or early on Year 6 - this is all that you need according to the LA. However .... many people on this forum think otherwise!

You might like to search out drummer's post to see how many pupils from your child's school reached 11+ qualifying score of 121 recently.....
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Bucks Mum

Yes the school NFER VR tests used during the year are in Standard form BUT the 11 plus is Multiple Choice

You may be interested in the following.

The 11 plus exam in Bucks consists of 2 Verbal Reasoning, Multiple choice tests. Each paper has 80 questions to complete in 50 minutes. Your child only needs to pass one of the tests, the average score is no longer used. The school will provide 5 familiarisation sessions [covering the 21 types of questions] followed by 3 practice tests.

The tests are published by NFER.

Publishers which currently cover the 21 types required for Bucks include:
AFN, IPS, SUSAN DAUGHTREY [Bright Sparks only, NOT her books 1-7]

NFER, who publish the Bucks tests only contain 15 types of questions…..it is therefore necessary to practice HIKNOS while completing these tests. [HIKNOS are 6 types as identified by IPS]

I would recommend that you start by buying a method and technique book in order to teach yourself how approach each of the questions [IPS]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=85" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IPS also publishes a book containing a selection of each type. Before you administer your first test, teach your child the types contained in that test using the IPS additional questions book, continue this method for the first few tests.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Use tests in the following order…..

1] IPS, 10 tests 50 questions, 30 minutes [shorter tests good to begin with]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2] SUSAN DAUGHTREY [Bright Sparks only], 4 tests 80 questions 50 minutes [soon to be 8 tests]
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3] NFER, 4 tests, 85 questions 50 minutes [remember to practice HIKNOS from IPS when completing these tests, also need to cross off the last 5 questions, as the real test only has 80 not 85]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do not start until the New Year, between now and then [and for the rest of year 5] ensure your child reads out loud to you at least 3 times a week, making note of all unknown vocabulary. If you look at some of the posts concerning the 2006 11 plus, the majority of posters, mention vocabulary as being the biggest problem [and I whole heartedly agree]
See the following link, bottom of the page, for my list of words with an explanation of how to use flash cards as an aid

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/revisi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... wnload.php

In addition, there are 4 types of maths questions, they are not rocket science, BUT require an ability to quickly recall the 4 maths operations i.e. adding, subtraction, multiplying and dividing. The quicker the child can recall, the more time can be spent on codes [easy marks, but time consuming] Basically if you ask for 8 x 7 you want the answer 56, now not in 10 seconds time, once they know their times tables inside out and back to front [ up to 12 x] then division becomes easy. Adding and subtraction should be practised using numbers under 150….try making up games, giving quick fire questions in the car, out for walks etc.

This forum is a wealth of information, look around, take note and get teaching! Any problems just ask, there is always someone willing to help.

Patricia
bucksmum

paper format

Post by bucksmum »

Thank you very much Guest55 and Patricia.

This forum is indeed a wealth of information and I have gained quite a lot of knowledge and handy tips from it.

Unfortuantely I got confused because my son's teacher was quite confident when she assured me that the September exam paper format would be the same as the practice test paper format they have just done. Also she confirmed that that paper would be the final sample paper he would do in school before the September exam. However she did confirm that the LEA will provide the pupils with a practice pack in Summer term.

Thank you for confirming the format to me - I've bought most of the practice papers in multiple choice version so that my son could familiarise himself with the correct format and was quite worried that I've got it wrong.
BUCKSMUM

how many

Post by Guest »

hi bucks mum do you mind telling us how mush your son scored in VR. i know it's bit early and sound bit selfish too. actually we are in berkshire and my son is trying for bucks school and we are doing DIY so just wanted to do comparison (i promise just for my REFERENCE).thank you.
bucksmum

paper format

Post by bucksmum »

Hi Guest

My son got a standardised score of 130 - I know there were 75 questions but I am not sure of the time limit.
BUCKSMUM
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now