Worth appealing? Wirral

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Caldymum

Worth appealing? Wirral

Post by Caldymum »

My daughter has achieved score of 224 on 11+, I haven't subscribed to the tutoring route, we just used previous papers, which she had no problems with, she attained level 5 in English in yr 5, and has reached same level in maths beginning of this school year! She is an August baby, so, young in the year. I was ok leaving her to go Pensby as great school, until I found that her heavily tutored friend, in lower ability groups had passed! Hindsight a great thing! Is it worth appealing, or is her mark too low? Any advice gratefully received.
yoyo123

Re: Worth appealing? Wirral

Post by yoyo123 »

There is a lot of useful information and advice about appealing in the Q&A section here

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kelannhugh

Post by kelannhugh »

Hi Caldymum

I never hired a tutor for my daughter either, she just managed to pass I opted for Birkenhead High School.

It's always worth appealing if you feel so strongly most they can say is no. There is always the 12+

good luck

Kelannhugh xx
Caldymum

Post by Caldymum »

Thanks for advice, having spoken to head, grounds for arguing blip on the day, in light of her sats predictions, have good support from school! Going for appeal! Not entirely hopeful, but watch this space!!! :roll:
paul150

Post by paul150 »

my daughter also failed her test without tutoring 232,so are in the same boat so to speak,seems there is no harm trying from what i have gathered.have you spoke to w.i.r.e.d,they are good for advice.in hindsight i wish we,d gone for a tutor too.as now have very little support from her school. against the idea of sitting exams from the start.and the only support the head has offered is a letter containing just 4 lines .
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I have every sympathy with you.

Time and time again this happens.

Future parents of 11+ takers must make themselves aware that this tutoring business goes on and the losers are not only the naturally bright untutored kids but also the heavily tutored kids who will not cope in future years at their chosen grammar.

I don't have a problem with a few months familiarisation or maths boosting to check that the content of the 11+ has been covered, but years of tutoring to gain entry to a school where the child will not be able to keep up is wrong.

My dd1 in yr 10 (bright and untutored and in grammar by the skin of her teeth) says that there are many kids that still have tutoring and still struggle. The pressures for these kids are too great, they have anger and emotional problems. They regularly attain poor grades. The system is so wrong.
Caldymum

Post by Caldymum »

Thanks all,
I didn't think I'd be the parent saying how unfair the system is! As I had faith in my daughters 'sats' results, and her natural ability! how wrong I was!
We have now decided not to put appeal forward! Our daughter, very maturely has decided she would rather be top in a fab comprehensive, than be potentially lower down in grammar! Well done her! A further sign of her intelligence! Very proud of her maturity! Ironically she can go to grammar in sixth form, so she can have best of both!
Sadly now though, I feel if I want my son to stand a chance of getting through this awful test in 2013, I will have to buy in to this 'flawed' system!
Why can't there be a minimum level of attainment in class before children are even allowed to sit tests? Wouldn't that ensure heavily tutored children may not even qualify??
So wrong!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Caldymum, very pleased to hear that your DD is looking forward to going to her new school - I am sure that makes all the difference to settlling in and doing well.

Re 2013.... much easiser to decided what you will do in a few months time - it can be exhausting for families during this time and often better to have a break before starting again (or not :roll: ).

The trouble with SATS as measure is that it tends to be a measure of what has been learnt rather than reasoning type ability which can exist where kids SATS are not necessarily at level 5, also in most areas the intake to GS is <25% whereas up to 35% of kids will get 3 levels 5's in year 6. Maybe they need other types of tests - some places do CATS in school - not all though.
GranTourismo

Post by GranTourismo »

hermanmunster wrote:The trouble with SATS as measure is that it tends to be a measure of what has been learnt rather than reasoning type ability.
My DS sat a year 6 SATS paper at the end of year 5 for assessment and achieved a level 5. I am lacking evidence of reasoning ability in my appeal and the Head brought up that he did well as he had not been taught a lot of what was on the paper. Is this evidence good to use at an appeal and can anyone add any weight to my arguement?

Thanks
3pink

Post by 3pink »

paul150 wrote:my daughter also failed her test without tutoring 232,so are in the same boat so to speak,seems there is no harm trying from what i have gathered.have you spoke to w.i.r.e.d,they are good for advice.in hindsight i wish we,d gone for a tutor too.as now have very little support from her school. against the idea of sitting exams from the start.and the only support the head has offered is a letter containing just 4 lines .
Who are W.I.R.E.D. ?

The trouble with tutors is how do you know a good one from a bad one ? We used somebody who literally just went through the papers with her every week, for £20 an hour, we could have done that.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now