11 plus

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Confused2007

11 plus

Post by Confused2007 »

Hello all,
I feel really confused about what to cover with my son (currently in yr5)...i mean where do i start...if i am feeling so confused it must be affecting my son....also my partner does not agree with preparing our son grammar school, he thinks its too much stress on him. Am i doing the wrong thing??? My son had tests recently and got Numeracy 3, Literacy 3 and Reading 4, however last year he had all 3s. I feel his year 5 teacher did not help, who is no longer employed by the school due to the negative effect he had on the kids. I know my son is currently below average but this is not his fault....as you can tell my brain is doing overtime, i am not sure whether i am doing the right thing...Should i be covering certain topics (If yes, what topics) or should i go through the bond books and explain questions to him when he struggles...How much work should i set him, should i get him to do the work on his own or with my help? etc

Sorry for this very confused message

Thankyou
usa

Post by usa »

Hallo!
Firstly tell us which area you are from, ie, which county - you do not have to name the schools if you do not want to. We can then tell you what exams your son will have to sit and the advice can go from there.
Dont give up - you have lots of time to prepare him - but please do post again and we would love to help
USA
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hey usa!

Long time no post! How are things on your side of the herring pond?

Guest - yes - just let us know what area you are in. You can do these things in a low key way, so this doesn't have to become something that either your son or partner feel pressurised about.

Sally-Anne
usa

Post by usa »

Hallo Sally Anne
Yes -I still lurk. Trying to sort my eldest out with a school now. Oh the fun never stops.
Still - time to break up for the summer over here quite soon...seriously!!
Then we have 4 months off school........! It is getting very hot here - did I tell you I live in the desert?
Anyway, we are going off topic again. I am keeping it all crossed for you and am thinking of you......hope all goes well!
USA
confused2007

Post by confused2007 »

Hey all,

Thank you all your replies.

I am based in Birmingham near Solihull....He goes to a school in Solihull....Does he have a chance with the 11 plus or not...what level should he be at in year 5......sorry....i have started again...

Regards
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

You need to decide yourself whether you think your child could do the 11+ and be successful, but just as a comparison I know that my daughter was at level 5 in Maths and English at the end of year 5.

I would suggest that you have a go at the relevant Bond books and see how he gets on - I always felt that I had nothing to lose really - but I think if she had struggled I wouldn't have bothered. I am presuming that you are looking at the KE schools in Birmingham, so he will need to look at Verbal, Non Verbal Reasoning, maths and English. If you live in Solihull, you have quite a few good schools to fall back on anyway - Tudor Grange, Alderbrook etc - so just treat it as no big deal with him and have a look at the local schools as well.
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Sorry, I have just read your post again - you live in Birmingham, I assumed you lived in Solihull. You might still get him into Alderbrook or Lighthall if you live Hall Green way - I know of 3 or 4 people who got their children into those 2 schools from Hall Green and they have been very pleased with them. I haven't known anyone from Birmingham get into Tudor Grange, but I am sure there will be someone ready to contradict me.

Post by Guest »

We live in Solihull, and although their schools may be better than those in B'ham, they are not necessarily good enough for those parents who want more from the education system. The catchment rule for schools such as Tudor Grange and Alderbrook is ridiculous, less than 0.5mile raduis, and yet I hear of some children getting in from Hall Green. We live in Solihull and can't get a place for my kids in these two schools, so please explain to me how Hall Green is any closer? This is a VERY emotional subject, as you've probably gathered from the tone. The whole school allocation in Solihull, like the rest of the country is a mess.

To the parent of this post, make every effort to get your child in KE schools, otherwise, you're a stuck with Lighthall, which isn't a bad school !

Good Luck
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now