Verbal Reasoning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tornado01

Verbal Reasoning

Post by Tornado01 »

Hi All

Just got hold of S Daughtrey VR Tec & Practice 1. Anyone got any ideas which questions to practice. Am I correct in thinking that only some of these questions appear in the test?

Regards
Tornado01
RaineB

Re: Verbal Reasoning

Post by RaineB »

Hi Tornado

We were in exactly the same position a year ago!

As to which questions, it depends whether you're doing the Lincs consortium test only or Caistor Grammar test which is different. We went for both. As I couldn't get a clear understanding of what was required for Caistor, I took the approach that DS needed to be prepared for any question types he could come across. So we worked our way through all 4 Susan Daughtrey books before he started doing practice papers. We probably spent more time doing this than necessary as he got some question types straight away but I still forced him to go through the practice questions :? . Then when we started practice papers, we bought as wide a range of VR papers as was practical for him to get through so we could pick up any question types that we'd missed. It all sounds quite laborious when I think back on it but we didn't start until May so we must have got through the SD books reasonably quickly (couple of months I think).

By doing all of that, when he used the NFER papers which cover the Lincs consortium test, he was comfortable with all the question types on them.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can advise on the actual question types for the Lincs test if that is the only one you're interested in. There are earlier posts on the forum as to which types are required.

This was probably not the most scientific approach but at the end of the day it worked for us. DS needed to pass well to get in as we are out of catchment and he got the school he wanted.

Not sure that this is much help but Good Luck :)
millie33

Post by millie33 »

We used a book from IPS - can't remember exactly what it was called, but it had a white cover! Think it was recommended on this site. It was great as it had a page of practise questions for each question type, so ds was familiar with them all before he sat the test, also each page could be completed in a few minutes. (ds resisted my attempts at home tutoring, so we only did the bare minimum!). There were only a couple of question types that weren't included - one being small crosswords. However ds said these questions were towards the beginning of the actual test and straight forward. Certainly worth considering. Good luck with it all - it's a relief to be out the other end!
Millie :D
Tornado01

Post by Tornado01 »

Thanks we are only going to do the Lincs test, just picked up the last recommended book and are going to start tonight :lol: Going to start with non-verbal first and see how that goes. Just picked up the last recommended book and had a look through. We did have the Bond papers and these appear to be more understandable, not sure if its the layout, how they word the questions or the questions themselves. Fingers crossed. :D

Regards
Tornado01
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now