Moving to Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Suet33

Moving to Bucks

Post by Suet33 »

A friend of mine has just moved back to UK from Australia. They have a child in the current Year 6 who wants to take the 11+ - can you run me through the process please. What do they need to do???

County are telling them they need a place in a Bucks school before they can apply!?!?!?
hermanmunster

Re: Moving to Bucks

Post by hermanmunster »

If they are in current year 6 they would be starting senior school in September and the palces have just been allocated. All comes down to exactly when they are arriving back??
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi suet33
Suet33 wrote:A friend of mine has just moved back to UK from Australia. They have a child in the current Year 6 who wants to take the 11+ - can you run me through the process please. What do they need to do???
As herman says, more information please! Is the child now in Year 6? Are the family resident in Britain, and are they in or close to Bucks? Which schools are they hoping for?
County are telling them they need a place in a Bucks school before they can apply!?!?!?
There has been a misunderstanding somewhere there.

S-A
Suet33

Post by Suet33 »

Hi ... sorry ... they are in the UK and the child is in current year 6.

They are currently living just outside Bucks on a temporary basis, in a friends house and once they have school places confirmed they will be moving to High Wycombe (they thought it would be better to sort schools before accommodation).

I believe they now have a place for an older child at Willimam Ramsay and are considering Widmer End for their Year 6 child - although this has not yet been confirmed.

Many thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Suet33

Officially the parent should apply for a school place through the Local Authority where they are currently living. However, as they are clearly there on a very temporary basis and they plan to move into Bucks almost immediately, then I would have thought that Bucks CC Admissions might be willing to deal with the application from the outset. (I think this is where the misunderstanding has arisen.)

Regardless of that point, the parent needs to apply for immediate 11+ testing. I believe that this may be the appropriate form, but she should check with Admissions:
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/assets/conten ... _Final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The child should then be invited for testing within a month.

It is slightly unfortunate that they have chosen High Wycombe this year because most of the the grammar schools there are far more over-subscribed than in previous years, and even if the child qualifies in the 11+, they may not receive a convenient school place. This gives a picture of how things stand at present: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now