Appeal medway

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sophiesmom

Appeal medway

Post by sophiesmom »

My dd passed her kent test and has been offered a place at a Kent School which is great, but we live in Medway. DD didn't pass the Medway test she missed by 12 points. We were not sucessful on the first appeal
with some (in my opinion) lame reasons such as spelling and punctuation not always being correct. My DD is in the top ability groups and her school have said she will pass her SATS at level 5. Unfortunatly it was English
that let her down in the Medway test which is suprising as English is her strongest subject. I would be grateful
on some advice as I have to prove that the first review was not carried out fairly any opinions welcome.
Thanks
Etienne

Re: Appeal medway

Post by Etienne »

I don't see how you can query the review until you're actually at the hearing, and have the opportunity to put questions to the authority's representative.

See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(scroll down to B18b - "How would I know if the review had been conducted in a fair, consistent and objective way?")

As far as a written submission at the moment is concerned, I suggest you:
1. state that you would like to ask some questions at the hearing with regard to the review process
2. state your academic case (in the hope that it will be considered), along with any valid extenuating circumstances.
Etienne
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

In the medway it is known that some schools such as chatham girls grammar do often find the review process unfair and then put through a successful appeal for a dd and offer a place. But it is quite difficult to get such a result. What school were you after?

Have a read of this
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=14969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hellybeds took it all the way without joy, but you may find it informative regarding the process.
sophiesmom

Post by sophiesmom »

Thanks for the link tiredmum.

We are appealing for Fort Pitt
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

FP lost a class last year and were over-subscribed for the first time in years. After chatham girls FP was proabably your next best bet to appeal to after an un-successful review - i am afraid that has all changed and last year only 4 out of over 20 appeals were successful at FP, dont know if any of these were failed reviews but it does seem a long shot. Would you not consider appealing to both FP and chatham girls? or is Chatham girls too far for you?
sophiesmom

Post by sophiesmom »

Chatham Girls is too far for us. I guess we will go through the process. If not successful we do have a place
at Gravesend Grammar, still a good school. I just find the whole process very frustrating, if my DD had been born a few months later should would have passed on extra points, it feels very unfair.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

yeah i know what you mean that age thing is really frustrating - gravesend grammar is a really good school - my dd2 knows one girl there in yr 7 and another due to start with your dd. Am presuming it is easier to access GG than chatham girls?
Hellybeds

Post by Hellybeds »

Hi everyone, thanks for the reference tiredmum.

I am still here lurking in the background and would like to wish anyone embarking on an appeal the very best of luck.

I will not say it is easy, as it is definately not and it is an uphill struggle, but if you feel strongly enough that your DC is capable, you need to follow it through, as otherwise you will always wonder 'what if'.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

nice to see you hellybeds :)
how are you and dd?
sophiesmom

Post by sophiesmom »

Thank you Hellybeds. I am certainly not looking forward to the appeal but I will do my best.
Any tips for dealing with the panel gratefully received.