Bridget Jones...Y7????

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum23*

Bridget Jones...Y7????

Post by mum23* »

DD2 has brought home Bridget Jones's diary form the school library. I have seen the movies (and liked them but not got at home on DVD) but I've never read the book. Flicking through, the very first page has the F word and there is more of that plus you can probably guess - don't want to get edited but let's just say I don't think it is suitable material for DD in Y7. After all the films are a 15 I think?? Should the school or librarian be guiding the choices and perhaps advising on suitability when the Dcs check out the books or is it just down to parents? Do you think there should be a junior/senior area in the libraries?

Would it be right for me to tell DD she can't read this yet? This is my first reaction but I'm not that experienced with teens and maybe I am just over reacting? I would love your thoughts.

oh dear, it really doesn't seem that long since Angelina Ballerina...
Chelmsford mum

Re: Bridget Jones...Y7????

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I don't think many school libraries have the time to monitor what the pupils take out.
I have two teenage girls, one only just and I would say it isn't suitable - but that is just my opinion.It isn't that there wouldn't be anything she hadn't probably heard or seen before but it is just pretty "full on" for an eleven year old.
I know this would probably mean she might read it in school anyway but just by saying "no not yet", you are setting a standard for what is acceptable.
Having said that I love the film :wink:

And yes films are 15 as just watched it last week with older daughter for the umpteenth time.... :)
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

yes CM I think you're right. I might just say "I don't really think it's a good idea to read this now, you will be able to enjoy it more when you are older". Glad you think I am not being OTT.

DD has read the Twilight books but I think BJD is a step too far at the moment. I haven't read the Twilight series but the films I have seen with DDs were....yawn...so boring I thought but nothing too inappropriate. My DD does dance classes with girls a few years older and I think she might be trying to keep up a bit plus I think a girl in her class has been reading this book or has been going on about the films because DD has asked to watch them.

I was quite shocked a couple of years ago when I bumped in to a mum I knew with her (then) Y7 DD at the supermarket. They had S** and the City DVD and snacks for a girly night in... :shock: (the mum is a GP) it made me feel I must be pretty old fashioned. ** for mods not modesty :wink:

Belinda, how old are your girls? I am not against them moving on and I am fairly liberal. My brother has a lovely cafe next door to a body casting shop and opposite an "exotic" boutique :roll: so they have not been totally shielded!! :lol: (that's Brighton for you)
I just don't want the floodgates to open too soon if you know what I mean. I think there are younger teen and older teen suitable material though.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

It is very difficult, I agree....I probably would err on the side of caution with my oldest, and decide that Bridget Jones is too much for an 11 year old, although to be fair there is much far worse on Waterloo Road and Eastenders that everyone will sit down to watch, with I have to say none of the humour :roll:
My children are probably much the same ages as Belinda's I think, 2 adults now, a 17 year old and a 12 year old. The 12 year old watches far more than his older siblings would ever have been allowed to, but alot of that is my fault, as it is very difficult to police when you have older ones in the house, same with the games for the xbox etc.

You just have to trust your own judgement, and make rules that suit your daughter. There's a part of me though that says that if you daughter is happy to read that is great. Mine all decided reading is not that great a past time when they went to secondary school, although now they are older, they are more likely to pick up a book and read again.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Actually Belinda that would be great. :D I would love to have some good alternatives to offer, especially books. I know quite a bit about children's books but my knowledge fizzles out at about age 12/13 and over apart from the obvious classics.

Movie wise we have recently watched Dream Girls which both DDs loved and the Step Up/Street Dance films. Luckily they like old movies too so we have watched quite a few of these.
Thanks.

I know what you mean LFH It is good that she wants to read. She has dyslexia but likes reading if the book gets her attention, when she got into the Twilight books I was quite pleased because she was reading so much even if I thought the books were probably a bit rubbish (haven't read so that is rather judgey). Just want her to read less :shock: stuff for now..."famous 5 darling?" :wink: -actually she loved Malory Towers and St Clares.

BTW DD1 has just asked if she can watch Waterloo Rd as all her friends do. We don't watch it or Eastenders but more because we are busy than through censorship! What is it like? DD1 is in Y9
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I loathe "Waterloo Road", with a passion! However I decided to let my older one start watching it in year 9.It does touch on some adult themes but is less full on with language, s-e-x- scenes etc as it goes out quite early.
Also it really did seem that all her friends really were watching it, and whilst I don't want to follow like a sheep, you don't want them to be perceived as "odd" either.
I watch it with her sometimes and we chat about it.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I admit that my year 7 daughter devours the Twilight books (repeatedly) with a passion and that I haven't read them. According to one if my friends the later books in the series are fairly explicit in terms of the relationship between Edward and ??? Too late now for me to vet them but, apparently, the books aren't quite as innocent as the films.

Like I said though, I haven't checked them.
Waterloo Road - daughter and I watch it and have a good giggle at the ridiculous storylines. It does cover issues in a very obvious 'we are covering issues' type of fashion.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Obviously a hit with Y9s then! Might have to watch it now though CM and Ed's mum just to see how bad it is!
It's Bella EM

What I don't understand is that with all the tv her classmates seem to watch according to DD when do they do their homework? They must be very good and fast at it. She is always moaning that everyone else watches Glee, Waterloo Rd etc etc why can't she. I do let her watch Glee but just not at 9pm on a Monday because she is a nightmare to get up for school. It is recorded. What an old fuddy duddy I am! That said about 6 of the girls in DDs class are on report for effort or behaviour so I rest my case :lol: and this is at a GS.

eek too late for Twilight vetting for me too but BJD is definitely a bit too adult I think.