EON have just made me very, very cross indeed.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

EON have just made me very, very cross indeed.

Post by Sally-Anne »

A bit of a rant, folks. I've had this happen before with our last energy supplier, but this time EON really do get the trophy for the biggest rip-off I can remember.

Firstly, apologies to anyone who is shocked by our energy consumption :oops: - it's a big house, not easy to heat and both of us work from home.

Last year we paid EON £2909 and we used £2887 worth of fuel (including an astronomic amount of gas this winter), which seems a pretty balanced state of affairs to me. We currently owe EON £183.00, which is about par for the course at this time of year. By June our account will be in credit and stay that way for several months. Our current Direct Debit is £257 per month.

This afternoon EON called me asking for:

a) Immediate settlement of the oustanding balance of £183.00
b) Agreement to a new Direct Debit of £391.00 per month. :shock: :evil:

Now, I know energy prices are rising and all that, but even if our bill increased by 30% over the next 12 months because of increased prices or our appalling profligacy, EON would be sitting on more than £1,000 of our money. If we rein in our consumption once again the figure could be well over £2,000.

Do they think I want to bank with them?

Anyway, we will be beetling off to another supplier where our Direct Debit will be £204.00 per month and we will save over £400 against EON's current prices. (Even EON themselves have a deal on offer that would save us £330.00, and it's not limited to new customers, but of course there was no mention of that in the call.)

EON are welcome to the £183 that is outstanding, and also the loss of a customer after only 17 months.

Don't get caught folks!
Looking for help

Re: EON have just made me very, very cross indeed.

Post by Looking for help »

How on earth can they put up your direct debit by that amount ?

You expect to be in arrears over the winter months and move to settel over the summer, that's the way it's supposed to work, surely. We have ours with EON and we're about half way through our first year with them...I thought these were one of the only energy suppliers not to be rushing to put prices up :shock:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I know - it beggars belief! Our bill increased by 15% over the last year, and they have announced an increase of 3% in gas prices (the vast majority of our bill) and 9% in electricity. And yet they want to increase our Direct Debit by 52%!
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I got cross with our energy supplier as they seemed to take the direct debit whenever they felt like it. Last time was 11 days early! That was over christmas and left us short for important bills(mortgage etc) as I was paid in between. I cancelled the direct debit and now pay monthly when its due. For the sake of £10 a year....
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Our gas meter display has packed in sometime since the last reading ....... dreading how they are going to deal with this.
doodles

Post by doodles »

NPower are no better - they "forgot" to increase our direct debit in line with our meter readings and presented us with a bill which they were gracious enough to say we could pay off monthly "on this occasion". Uurgh - it was their fault not ours :lol:

Having sorted my BT bill in January I found they were still direct debiting the old amount!

Just spoken to a very patronising young man who said I had a credit on my account but if they reduced my direct debit to the amount on the contract who would pay for my calls ? Now I am no financial genius but even I can work out that if I am in credit I am probably already paying enough for my calls. Apparently the compute calculates how much you are going to spend on calls :?: I agreed to them amending my direct debit to £25.10 per month as per the contract. Then he told me that the computer couldn't "take" £25.10 but would take either £25 or £25.50 - neither of which are figures on my contract from them!!!!!!

Then about 30 seconds after I put the phone down a colleague of his called me to ask if I had pressed button 1 to take part in a customer satisfaction survey - when i said "No" he put the phone down

Have I been zapped into a different time sphere - please somebody tell me what's happening 'cos I am very confused.
KB

Post by KB »

Sally-Anne:
Have similar problem with British Gas - they keep increasing the direct debits for no valid reason.
Will have to look at other options - again -such a faff to keep changing...
jingle

Post by jingle »

Another Eon victim here! Was told I had to pay them £400 a month when they screwed up our account. I laughed down the phone at the man on the other end.
Does anyone have any recommendations of a decent supplier as I would be really interested and definately want to change, but am worried about the 'frying pan and fire' scenario
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

They're all as bad as each other, as far as I can tell. You just hve to keep moving every 12 months or so. We will be signing up for the current "hot deal" (British Gas, believe it or not) and when that expires next May, we will move on once again.

I find that I have to do the same with just about everything now - savings, house insurance, car insurance, utilities, etc. The only one we're stuck with is broadband/TV/phone but the market is a bit of cartel if you need cable or satellite, as we do.

I haven't yet spoken to the chap at EON and, although he seemed very nice, it will give me immense pleasure to tell him that we are leaving forthwith. Perhaps they might reconsider this bullying tactic if enough people do the same. I can't bear to think of elderly people being targeted with the same smooth sales patter about "how it is entirely fair that our account should be at zero on 1st May each year".
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

I had exactly the same experience with Eon quite recently...but it sorted itself out. I checked my account online as I'm quite paranoid about how much gas/elec. we use and have been trying to economise. Our latest bill said we were in credit, but then there was a little note saying because of this they were putting our DD's up from £130 to £170/month! Next day got a letter confirming the £170, so,

Got on the phone to Eon asap and explained to reasonably intelligent/understanding woman. By the end of the conversation she told me they weren't really putting my direct debits up, they would in fact go down to £122/month, it was just their computer doing its calculations without taking into account our most recent payment! She made all this sound perfectly normal and acceptable... :evil:

Also discovered recently that you can go online on to your account and ask it to recalculate your direct debits based on your latest bill. :D