3D shapes

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wizard

3D shapes

Post by wizard »

There seems to be different answers for the number of faces and edges for cones, cylinders and spheres - I think based on different definitions of what exactly a face is etc. Could someone clarify what the 11+ definition would be please for the following:

sphere - 0 or 1 face (0 edges & vertices)
cylinder - 2 or 3 faces ( 2 edges & 0 vertices)
cone - 1 or 2 faces (1 edge & 0 vertices)

many thanks
moved

Re: 3D shapes

Post by moved »

The more I have thought about this the more I am unsure.

Faces are supposed to be flat, but both the cone and the cylinder have curved surfaces that could be opened out to be flat.

An edge is supposed to be straight, so that would mean that none of these shapes has any edges.

A vertex is a point where edges join and the cone would therefore have an apex rather than a vertex.

Looking at this I would conclude that 0 for all three for a sphere, one face for a cone and two faces for a cylinder.

Perhaps at primary level these issues are worried about less and therefore a sphere has one face, no edges and no vertices; a cone two faces, one edge and one vertex and a cylinder three faces, two edges and no vertices.

I await with interest the responses of those with more confidence to make a decision than me.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Hello,

I do not think there is a 'simple' answer to your question.
If you check the internet there seems to be a whole lot of disagreement between teachers
and the like.
I accidently started reading about the Euler characteristic to help provide you with an answer
and that led me to being more confused than I thought possible when it came to defining
the characteristics of a sphere.
I suggest that your child would be unlikely to receive a question in an exam involving faces on spheres/cylinders as there is too much indecision on the matter.

However, if your daughter/son is asked a question about faces/vertices/edges involving the sphere - tell them to write - Euler said it's 2!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_characteristic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry this is not more helpful!
"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops."
Henry B. Adams
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

From a quick search through primary strategy it seems that at KS2 they distinguish between curved surface and flat surface

There was a question in the 2005 sats about faces

but it was to complete a table no of flat surfaces, number of curved surfaces
wizard

Post by wizard »

Thanks for the replies so far. My son has got homework from his tutor on faces,edges and vertices which inc the cone,cylinder and sphere - hence my question.I think we will have to go with a definition of straight edge and flat face (not curved) and count up on that basis.

thanks
moved

Post by moved »

I looked on mymaths and was disappointed to discover that they felt that a sphere had one face.

I gave the problem to my year 7 top set and they decided that if a face was a polygon and a polygon is defined as having straight edges then none of these shapes has faces, edges or vertices. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now