Burnham Grammar Eve 22nd March

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Booklady

Burnham Grammar Eve 22nd March

Post by Booklady »

Hi - we have been invited to BGS evening on 22nd March - for all those offered a place in Sept. Trouble is - I am away with work - and DD and hubbie will be at one of her many extra-curricular activities. We are also in the process of appealing for BHS, and I am also hopeful about getting in off the WL. So - from whose who have been there before - do we absolutely have to go to this evening, which would be pretty tricky for us! Or - do they run other evenings later on - once we absolutely know where she is going!? :? Thanks for your thoughts!
andyb

Re: Burnham Grammar Eve 22nd March

Post by andyb »

We went to the new parents evening at DS's school (not BGS). We were given a pack containing useful info - like uniform, stationery requirements, booking form for music lessons etc. The HM's speech was not significantly different from the open evening when we went round before choosing schools apart from the boys were addressed as members of the school rather than prospective pupils. There was a chance to meet the head of Y7 but imagine trying to do that with 150 other parents and boys :wink: so we didn't bother. There were also representatives from the PTA looking for new volunteers.

I would guess that you won't be the only family unable to attend and a quick phone call to the school asking them to post out any paperwork would be adequate.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Thanks - that is what I was thinking too! I guess I will give them a call when I am back in the UK! :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It has left an indelible blank on my mind from last year. Think we had a talk from the head of KS3 which was a bit of a sales pitch and the kids got to eat samples of food from the canteen. I think people like music etc were available but you couldn't get near them. If your DC does go there there will be ample opportunity for her find out all about the school at the brilliant space camp which is for new year 7s in the first week of the holidays. I wouldn't worry, but call the school to make sure you don't miss out on any forms (I don't think you will).

PS I don't think there are any other evenings, but there is the day in July when they all visit their new schools when you get the same talk again, just in a bit more detail!
scary mum
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Thanks - very useful info1 I will give them a call! Interesting on the Space camp - I knew they did something, but is it always the first week of the hols - we have our hol booked then - I am thinking we may need to move it ...... :roll:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think it is always the first week but the school would tell you. It is a real plus in favour of the school - they get used to the school without the "big" people there and get to meet their new classmates. The downside is that they have to go to school for a week immediately after breaking up, but they do make it fun for them.
scary mum
drummer

Post by drummer »

The Space Camp is fantastic. And I don't know of any other school that makes such an effort to welcome it's new pupils. It is a very good school.