Pates Year 9 entry (13+?)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bridget

Pates Year 9 entry (13+?)

Post by Bridget »

Hello - I haven't posted for a while as we went through the 11+ process last year and DC is now in yr7. Does anyone out there have any experience or knowledge of applying to Pates for yr9 entry? I believe that this is possible as many indie schools take primary level to age 13 and then move up to secondary, but I assume it would be a case of joining the Pates waiting list as the year group is full .... do any children leave Pates at yr9 to go to independent secondary schools?? DC didn't get into Pates at 11+ but is keen to have another go .... :!: ... anyone know of any 13+ tutors?!!
pixiequeen

Re: Pates Year 9 entry (13+?)

Post by pixiequeen »

Hi Bridget

I can't help you with regard to whether children leave Pates at 13 to go to independant schools, but I would guess not - any one who wants/can afford private education would already have their children in that system, I think.

I do know that your DC can have one more go at the test for entry into a different year. If there was a space available and no one else on the waiting list then the place would be given to your DC if they had reached the qualifying score (no idea how they mark the test since the 11+ is scored against other candidates). However you need to remember that if Pates is currently over PAN in your childs year because they originally accepted a couple of children on appeal, you will need for the numbers to drop back below PAN before a space will be allocated to someone else. If a child leaves (and the only way you will know this is to keep ringing the school and asking) but the numbers don't fall below PAN you will need to appeal for a place.

Capers is good at this stuff. Hopefully he/she will come along soon and correct what I've told you :D Good luck.

Pixiequeen
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Yep, that's all correct.

Even if you DC did take a test for Y9 entry and got a pass mark, you'd still have to appeal. For that matter, they could take the test for Y8 entry (but you only get 2 goes at the test ever).

Same applies for all the grammars, but some may not be oversubscribed, or may put up a less-strong argument against going over PAN than Pates might.
Capers
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Thank you Capers and PixieQueen. I assume that the test second time around would be age-apropriate (i.e. not 11+ again?)
At best it sounds like a long shot, especially as places were not awarded very far down the rankings for the current yr7 plus two got in on appeal therefore no doubt still several names on the never- never waiting list.
I think DC may have to wait until Sixth Form :roll:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Bridget wrote:Thank you Capers and PixieQueen. I assume that the test second time around would be age-apropriate (i.e. not 11+ again?)
At best it sounds like a long shot, especially as places were not awarded very far down the rankings for the current yr7 plus two got in on appeal therefore no doubt still several names on the never- never waiting list.
I think DC may have to wait until Sixth Form :roll:
I don't know which school your child currently attends, but if they're not at another grammar, why not consider going for one that isn't Pate's?

There are a lot of very, very bright children at all of them, not just Pate's. Some don't bother ticking the Pate's box as they would prefer a local school, others might prefer single sex, or just the ethos & feel of the schools.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now