working out

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jash

working out

Post by jash »

Hello All,
this might sound like a silly question. But, I would like to know if the children will be given a paper to try and work out the answers if they do need to write down and work it out. I was told by one of the girls who wrote last year that they dont give any blank papers and this has to be worked out mentally and answered. I find that my DD will struggle a bit if she is asked to do so entirely without working out for difficult questions.

Can we give the child some blank sheets if the school will not give some??

Any information would be appreciated!!

jash
TraffordMum

Re: working out

Post by TraffordMum »

I am sure that what applies to one grammar school in Trafford may not apply to all 7 separate exams so you are best advised here to ring the relevant school's admissions number and pose the question to them. I am pretty sure you will not be allowed to take anything into any exam that you are not told about beforehand. Again, the extent of this depends on the school in question, but for the two schools of which I have past experience (AGGS and Sale), spare paper is not allowed to be taken in.

If you do find out anything (like whether scrap paper is given out or if the children are allowed to write on the question paper) please do come back and let us know - it would be really useful information.
agsbmum

Post by agsbmum »

I'm sure we can find out more about this on the open days. Heard from a lady whose son appeared last year that they do get spare papers.
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

My daughter "thinks" she got a single piece of paper at AGGS September 2009!

She certainly wouldn't have been able to do everything in her head :D
emsy

Post by emsy »

My son said he didn't get paper but they could write on the question paper (Sale and agsb), although this is an 11 year old's recollection of tests 6 months ago so don't rely on it.
jash

Post by jash »

thank you all for yor feedback!!
jash
jash

Post by jash »

Hello All,

called AGGS today, spoke to the admissions department. I was told that the children will be given some sheets to work out their answers.

Also requested some advise for the definition of catchment area. She was very kind and she offered to let me know soon. She got my postcode to work it out!!

Will keep you all informed if I find any success!!

Jash :D
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Excellent. I'm glad they were able to give a definitive answer. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.
ashwini24

Post by ashwini24 »

TraffordMum wrote:Excellent. I'm glad they were able to give a definitive answer. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.
Hi all,

I have also checked with AGGS admissions today & they told me that children will be given a sheet of paper in the classroom, if they need any more sheets, they can ask the teacher.

Regards

Ash
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks for this....

I was awake half the night thinking about this question....

*sad but true*
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now