All things equal, what school would you choose...?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lara228

All things equal, what school would you choose...?

Post by lara228 »

Just suppose the financial aspects were taken out of the equation (!), and your son got offers from QEB, Habs and Merchant Taylors - which one would you choose and why?
tense

Re: All things equal, what school would you choose...?

Post by tense »

I'm not familiar with any of these schools really - but that never stops me having an opinion!! :D :D

I would eliminate any that my DC couldn't travel to independently or that took an unreasonable amount of time to reach. Then I'd let my DC choose whichever they preferred.
Yadagi

Post by Yadagi »

tense wrote:I'm not familiar with any of these schools really - but that never stops me having an opinion!! :D :D

I would eliminate any that my DC couldn't travel to independently or that took an unreasonable amount of time to reach. Then I'd let my DC choose whichever they preferred.
:lol:
Tense your first sentence made me laugh , good for you for having an opinion and expressing it ,
and I totally agree with you on your reasoning for picking a school. :D
lara228

Post by lara228 »

Interesting - so your opinion is that children should be free to make their own choice - in that case, my local sink school/academy is brand new, has the most fantastic, state-of-the-art facilities and I won't have to invest a penny in tutoring to get my child in there - he's bound to choose it because it does look fantastic when compared to the slightly run-down Victorian buildings, supplemented by portakabins, that the schools I mentioned have. I thought this forum was a way for PARENTS to swap information and advice so that we can make informed decisions on behalf of our children, who, at only 9 years old, would probably prefer us to spend our money on trips to Disneyworld than schooling.
mad?

Post by mad? »

lara228 wrote: I thought this forum was a way for PARENTS to swap information and advice so that we can make informed decisions on behalf of our children, who, at only 9 years old, would probably prefer us to spend our money on trips to Disneyworld than schooling.
I do not think this forum is exclusively the preserve of people who do not want to involve their DC in any educatonal decisions, although clearly there are some. Generally a polite reponse to genuine offers of advice, albeit advice you may disagree with, tend to elicit further support and advice. The opposite is also true.
mad?
lara228

Post by lara228 »

Apologies.

I guess I had hoped that I would have received some replies from North London/Herts-based parents who have been in this position in the past and who were willing to share their thought processes when faced with this dilemma.
mad?

Post by mad? »

No worries. I am surprised that you have not had more comments as these schools usually provoke great debate. Like Tense I'm afraid I am not from your area and am not intimately acquainted with the schools concerend. That said if money AND location were not an issue (and I must say for both both very much woudl be :lol: ) I would let DC choose from those three..., but not from any wider selection, for the reasons you highlighted above. If you search the forum on the schools in question, you will find lots of dirreent answers to your question.
mad?
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

I think there is limited benefit in debating theoretical choices. If you like all three schools prepare for them all, sit the exams, and see what choice you end up with. Three is not too many, but perhaps there are others you are also considering? There is no point setting your heart on a particular school at this stage as it may end up not being an option.

For what it's worth the only school of the three I have visited is QEB and we decided not to apply there. If I lived closer to the others I would certainly have visited them, and I like the sound of Merchant Taylors.

Along the way you will learn more about the schools in question.

I assume you have visited the schools in question? The more opportunities you have to see them and talk to pupils and staff the better. Is your son year 4 or year 5?
vas

Post by vas »

Hello Lara,

Was in the position you mentioned a while back (with finances in the equation though) and chose Habs.
Reasons being,
1. We think he will have a more rounded education rather than exam focus
2. We can approach the school if there are any issues and mail teachers easily (i.e. progress or pastoral)
3. Between MT & Habs, Habs suited our son's personality better (stricter, less chance of daydreaming!)
4. Coach facilities were excellent with late coaches and walking distance from home
5. Most of all, my son loved the school.

Points 2, 5 and 4 were the deciding factors.

Hope this helps.
magic-mum

Post by magic-mum »

Faced with this decision only a few weeks ago - St Albans, Habs, MT's, & Parmiters. Very, very hard !!
There is actually no wrong or bad decision to make and so it came down to personal preference and practicality.
All are great schools, all provide an amazing standard of education, all have pastoral care etc etc and my son liked them all !! At the end of the day decided on St Albans - more travel options from our house, like the traditional feel , probably will have friends nearby (something we have not had for the last 7 years due to our choice of primary), City based school preferred to campus and I can just "see" him there !! Didn't come down to league tables or kudos, just what "felt" right. We're happy and he is happy.
Select schools you think will suit you based on the standard of education, pastoral care, financial and social aspects and practicality (e.g travel, siblings etc ) - get a feel for the schools , sit the exams and wait for the offers and then go with your gut ! Good luck