Reading percentage pass marks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cestlavie

Reading percentage pass marks

Post by cestlavie »

For info for those preparing for next years test, we received enough information on our son's performance from the school to be able to approximate the raw pass mark: each of the 3 papers was marked out of 50, the average was 30/50 on each of the papers (we were given this information) and from my calculations an "average born" (i.e. March) child would have needed approximately 39/50 on each paper to be in the top 100.

Note however that this might reflect the exam difficulty - we were getting 85-95% in practice papers and never dropped as low as his actual performance on the day. Difficult to tell whether this is down to the level of the tests or exam nerves or a combination of the two.

Plus the increase in applicants (~40 more this year compared to last) means that the bar gets a little higher each year.

So please don't take these figures too literally, the past is no guide to the future!
aliportico

Re: Reading percentage pass marks

Post by aliportico »

Thanks, that's interesting to know. Do you happen to know whether they look at a total score, or average across the three papers? Am not worried about maths (have been having a Proud Mummy Moment all week because he just got a gold medal in the Primary Maths Challenge final!), reasoning is okay and probably mostly depends on the day, but English .... hmmm .... ! So a total would suit him better than an average, lol!
cestlavie

Post by cestlavie »

They standardise the score for each paper first, then sum your three standardised scores, and finally age-adjust the combined standardised score.

So if all the boys are generally good at maths (which they are, the average mark for that paper was higher than for reasoning or english) then you won't pull up a weaker english quite as easily with a high maths. Our DS turned out to be relatively similar across the board even though we'd always thought he was stronger in maths from his school reports and practice papers. But I know of others who also didn't make it whose english pulled them way down whereas I have never heard of it being the opposite way round. Of those I know who did get a place this year, I'd have said that they were the avid readers rather than necessarily stronger mathematicians, most boys in our circle seemed to find the english paper the hardest.
R3ad1ngDad

Post by R3ad1ngDad »

aliportico wrote:Thanks, that's interesting to know. Do you happen to know whether they look at a total score, or average across the three papers? Am not worried about maths (have been having a Proud Mummy Moment all week because he just got a gold medal in the Primary Maths Challenge final!), reasoning is okay and probably mostly depends on the day, but English .... hmmm .... ! So a total would suit him better than an average, lol!
snap so that is 2/33 nationally here on this forum
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

R3ad1ngDad wrote:snap so that is 2/33 nationally here on this forum
:shock: That's funny :lol:

Congratulations to your son! (I just had a quick look at the results list - did he get 25/25? Fantastic result :) )

There was one from here last year too :) I will take it as a good omen for this November/March ;-)
R3ad1ngDad

Post by R3ad1ngDad »

Don't know I only looked up the results after your post - the school has not said anything yet. If it is alphabetical on school name starting with 25/25 then yes.

You should see about getting extension maths at Waingels (if you live where I think) I believe the head of maths is a Mrs Goddon ? Our primary arranged it when they ran out of things to teach him and our son has been doing an hour there each Friday which has stopped him getting bored. He got a silver last year so he is really pleased with himself for getting a gold.