school selection

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
claire

school selection

Post by claire »

If i put Henry Floyd as first choice school and Waddesdon as 2nd choice school i presumed that if my son passed his 11 plus he would go to the Floyd which is a Grammar school and if he failed he would automatically go to Waddesdon (not a Grammar school) However i have been told that if he fails Waddesdon would not automatically take him as he would only have put them as the 2nd school and it depends if they have places left. He could therefore end up at a school not on the list. Is this correct? Do you select 3 schools?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That is not true - if your child does not reach qualifying your '2nd' choice effectively becomes your first choice.

Bucks operate an equal preference admissions system anyway - so schools tell Bucks whether they can offer you a place [according to their Admissions criteria] and then you get offered the highest.

I would say that I hope you live in catchment or have strong C of E commitment as Waddesdon is extremely popular [some years they do not get past criterion 2]. Smaller cohort sizes in the last two years have made admission slightly easier but do not rely on that. Some children with 121+ go to Waddesdon as it's their local school -

A thrid choice? Yes - if you can find a school you are happy with that you live near enough to.
claire

Post by claire »

Thank you. I do live in the catchment for Waddesdon so i was quite happy to help my son myself as he would like to pass the 11 plus but if he didnt i was confident with Waddesdon as my 2nd choice school but panicked when i got told Waddesdon will take 1st choices first and then may not have room for him. I was then considering putting Waddesdon as first choice incase he didnt pass though he actually wanted the Floyd! Sorry if this is confusing!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Claire,

Don't worry - I'm a teacher so know where to look for the correct information - presumably you have found the admissions section of the Bucks website?

Here is a link if not:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... =987793428

It's worth looking through the booklet - the new one will be posted on the Bucks site when it comes out.

You can easily DIY using the support on this website - as you are registered you can PM any other member which is sometimes useful if you have specific questions.

Good luck and keep posting -

Post by Guest »

I looked at your link and found it really useful. Thank you , this is my first day on here and i have found it really helpful. Thank you for your help, i feel much better now!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now